Linux Mint on a Mac?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hackersmovie1

Linux Mint on a Mac?

Post by hackersmovie1 »

Can you run Linux Mint on a Mac? I read in the Linux Mint Wiki that any computer that can run Ubuntu can run Linux Mint, however, when I downloaded, burned and tried to boot from the CD, it crashed :cry: I am running OS X 10.5.2 AND Ubuntu 7.10 (amd64 version) on my Macbook 2.0Ghz, 4GB RAM with a 15GB partition for Linux.

Can it, will it work?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
McLovin

Re: Linux Mint on a Mac?

Post by McLovin »

short answer, yes, it can and will work. As for why it keeps crashing, check your download MD5 against the MD5 from the site, make sure they match, if they do, try to reburn the disk at the slowest speed possiblt, this cannot be stressed enough, if it burns too fast, you ill end up with a bad disk.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

I've been running it on vmware. Works beautifully. I have a laptop that is mint only so its all good.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
hugh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hugh »

hackersmovie wrote:Booted from CD, installed, and wouldn't boot the installation. . . hmmm. . . . :shock:
Now, I've been using Linux for a couple of years, but just got an iMac - other way round to you. From what I can glean with my scant knowledge I think you need to enable Bootcamp in your Mac to dual boot with other systems - try looking at the XP instructions and tailor it to Mint.
I've not dared to take the Bootcamp plunge yet as i don't want to chance destroying my beautiful Leopard, so I'm still running my Linux installs through VM, but my stepson dual boots to XP with no problems.

Cheers, :) :)

Hugh
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing . . .

WARNING this user only has a little knowledge :)

Return to “Hardware Support”