Update Manager not opening

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ArkadioG

Update Manager not opening

Post by ArkadioG »

It is not problem with updating (thread provided by zerozero) but problem that main window of update manager doesn't show up.

I got same problem, here how it happens:
- i click on icon in tray, or click Update Manager in menu
- give my password
- pops up onlysmall window checking for updates
- that window closes
- all the time doesn't show main window of UM - the one showing list of available updates and its level

I have to try open UM like 3 or 5 times before main window shows up - and it happens whether there are updates or there aren't any.

If i manage to open main window of update manager, then all updates run fine.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Update Manager not opening

Post by zerozero »

split from http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=122741 as it seems a different problem

as far as i can understand you either can't open mintupdate or only after a few (random) attempts?

try to launch mintupdate from the terminal and check the errors it gives (if any) and post them here
the following commands should do (on or the other)

Code: Select all

mintupdate

gksu mintupdate
ArkadioG

Post by ArkadioG »

[edit] yes, mintupdate opens after few tries

mintuodate output:

arkadiog@arkadiog-tosh ~ $ mintupdate
arkadiog@arkadiog-tosh ~ $ Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
mintUpdate.py: Fatal IO error 11 (Zasoby chwilowo niedostÄpne) on X server :0.

arkadiog@arkadiog-tosh ~ $
- it opened window that downloaded packages informations, downloaded 95 files, then closed

I had to install gksu first, its output:

arkadiog@arkadiog-tosh ~ $ gksu mintupdate                                   

(gksu:3485): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

(gksu:3485): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

ArkadioG wrote:I had to install gksu first
what edition and DE of mint are you using?
ArkadioG

Post by ArkadioG »

Mint 14 KDE, i got system up to date - all updates installed
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

it looks like similar to this http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=122227
can you check if the menu entry is just mintupdate and if changing it to

sudo mintupdate
solves the issue
ArkadioG

Post by ArkadioG »

Unfortunately it disn't help.

I changed settings so that

sudo mintupdate
was fireing up, i even rebooted.
Icon in tray shows available updates, after i click it, give password and only window downloading packages shows up, then closes and.. still nothing.
When i click UM from menu - nothing happens. I changed it again back to

mintupdate

Edit: changed to propper command
Last edited by ArkadioG on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

edit: above you mixed mintinstall with mintupdate? just to clarify that?

what graphics card you have?
this might seem weird but from this
mintUpdate.py: Fatal IO error 11
the only real error i could see in the above output i went to
http://www.linuxmint-fr.org/forum/demar ... 0&start=20
the topic is in french but the general problem is similar to yours and the OP solved it changing from amd to nvidia card (anyway that user was using the open source drivers because his card was not compatible with prop drivers anymore).

what card/drivers are you using?
give us the output of

inxi -Gx
ArkadioG

Post by ArkadioG »

Of course i ment mintupdate
my laptop is Toshiba L30-PSL33, FB 533MHz, Celeron 430 1,73, 1gb ram ddr2, embded Ati Radeon Xpress 200M. This is output:

arkadiog@arkadiog-tosh ~ $ inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200M] bus-ID: 01:05.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RC410 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0 Direct Rendering: Yes

I got issue with graphic card when at first installed Mint to run IN Windows - i had to copy B43 drivers to root/lib/firmware,
but when I installed it alongside Win - all worked fine and needed no additional drivers.

By the way thx for help, maybe i should report this bug somewhere? Is there any ticketing system for that?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

rereading that topic (sorry :oops: my french is a lot rusty lately) and also this other http://www.linuxmind-italia.org/index.p ... c=14451.15 i'm not sure (even less than before) that the problem is graphics cards related.

in my system (and is a very messed system btw)
mintupdate is here

zerozero@deb-kde ~/Documents $ whereis mintupdate
mintupdate: /usr/bin/mintupdate /usr/bin/X11/mintupdate
and both commands bellow launch it successfully

zerozero@deb-kde ~/Documents $ /usr/bin/mintupdate
zerozero@deb-kde ~/Documents $ /usr/bin/X11/mintupdate
linux mint bug reports are https://launchpad.net/linuxmint
ArkadioG

Post by ArkadioG »

Just noticed that, when i open mintupdate from console, main window opens and packages start downloading this code outputs:

arkadiog@arkadiog-tosh ~ $ Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i think that it's just a warning and is not related with the main issue but worth checking

in my system /etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf is

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
	<!-- Load per-user customization file -->
	<include ignore_missing="yes">~/.fonts.conf.d</include>
	<include ignore_missing="yes">~/.fonts.conf</include>
</fontconfig>
and line 9 in fonts.conf is

<match target="font" >