Update manager problem. < SOLVED>

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gimme4

Update manager problem. < SOLVED>

Post by gimme4 »

Hi Guys.
Just recently I have noticed that I keep getting errors when I'm checking for updates, sometimes it updates but takes ages to check for the updates sometimes it just fails, and ideas please.
Many thanks.
Screenshot.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tcc

Re: Update manager problem.

Post by tcc »

I am having this probelm too, even on a freshly installed system on my other laptop!

Will be interested to see what the problem is.

Are the mirrors we are pointing to incorrect, or are the mirror servers encountering problems?
d00med

Post by d00med »

There's been a number of posts on this. AFAIK, it's servers either temporarily down or congested. It was advised to pick an alternate mirror in the update manager's preferences. Haven't gotten around to it here, and apt-get update is taking forever, on all my computers, because of all the 404s.
tcc

Post by tcc »

d00med wrote:There's been a number of posts on this. AFAIK, it's servers either temporarily down or congested. It was advised to pick an alternate mirror in the update manager's preferences. Haven't gotten around to it here, and apt-get update is taking forever, on all my computers, because of all the 404s.
I thought as much.
I am going to change my mirrors when I get a spare 5 mins (Ive got lots of Uni work to be doing).

It raises the question, though- If Mint were to get a lot more popular with more users, would this happen to the servers again? What fall-back mechanisms are there in place so that it wont happen again?
Ponny

Post by Ponny »

Meow

I have this problem too. With repositories named Maya. I have Mint Linux 13. This problem occurs about one week now, or maybe two.

Before 13, I had mint 9 and also sometimes this problem. I tried to change to some mirror, but problem persist.

And this: few days (or maybe week) - from installation of Mint 13, I was unable to install some language packages (locale - slovenian) because of this strange problem vith repos.

Hmmmmm, these problems have been going on for tooooo long. They can not be only minor problems with repos.

civ-civ

Ponny
Ponny

Post by Ponny »

What!? It works now! I can't believe it! After about of week of non working.
I just upgraded all with synaptic-pkexec.
I wonder how long it will work.

Ponny
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Steps for changing to a mirror server are here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=122213. A mirror server will generally always be faster unless you are in the US.

As shared on that topic, a problem was found with the main server was being worked on. The repository performance is being monitored continuously.
j-bernard44

Post by j-bernard44 »

same problem with nadia 14. First download release worked some days before problem appear. I re-downloaded nadia 14 a second time, for 10 days no problem with update, untill same message as above. This problem occurs also on my old version MINT 10 Julia. I tried to change Mirror sources or modifie sourcelist according forums proposed solutions but still impossible to refrech packages . Please help
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint 10 has been obsoleted and has reached end of life as of April 2012. Step by the repositories are being deleted for that release. You would be recommended to install a newer release to replace Linux Mint 10. Linux Mint 13 is the current long term support release, with support till April 2017. Linux Mint 14 is the latest release, with the newest software and support till April 2014. You can download either from here: http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php. MATE or Cinnamon would probably be a best fit if you used the main edition (GNOME 2) of Linux Mint 10.

As for problems with the packages.linuxmint.com repository or current releases of Linux Mint, as detailed a mirror server is the solution for that. Please read the errors you are getting though on a current release of Linux Mint; if it is for something other than for packages.linuxmint.com, you have a different problem.
d00med

Post by d00med »

Thanks zenopeek.
gimme4

Re: Update manager problem. < SOLVED>

Post by gimme4 »

Thanks for all the replies and the help guys, Outstanding as ever.

Return to “Beginner Questions”