Wine + Steam = How safe?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
junior-s

Wine + Steam = How safe?

Post by junior-s »

Hi everyone. I'm thinking on running Steam via PlayonLinux since only one game I have is ported so far. I would just run Steam, no programs, nothing else, just Steam.

My question would be if Wine is an open door for network attacks. I will not run any .exe files except for Steam itself. I will use Wine just to play Steam games. But I'm affraid WIne is an open door for network attacks, something like a friend getting my IP and trying to invade my machine

PLUS: I scan my machine with avast and clamtk 3x a week, and with Kaspersky Rescue CD every Sunday
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Wine + Steam = How safe?

Post by xenopeek »

That's pretty much answered in the Wine FAQ, section 11. Risks: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-1c91cac ... f346eebe87. If you will only run Steam and Steam games, I'd guess you'd be reasonably safe (I'm thinking Steam will run virus and malware scanners on all the games they offer).
junior-s

Post by junior-s »

"reasonably safe"? =)
junior-s

Post by junior-s »

Someone else?
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

junior-s wrote:Someone else?
There is a constant stream of bad stuff coming down the pipe so there is no way to say how truly safe any OS is at any given point in time. If you want exact details on threats and your level of exposure those are probably things you should research on your own. You know you hardware, use habits and what you level of expertise is. Good Luck

Return to “Beginner Questions”