[SOLVED] RAT7 and Mint cinn 14 problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Coss

[SOLVED] RAT7 and Mint cinn 14 problems

Post by Coss »

Hey guys,

This is my first post on the forums and I thought this would be the best place for it since it seems I have found the answer but I don't know how to accomplish it still. I have installed Mint 14 in a dual boot config and everything is working great at the moment. I wanted to switch my mouse to my RAT7 but my clicks don't seem to be registering.

I found this on the forums:
http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/view/13909
It says:
placing these .conf lines

Code: Select all

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "R.A.T."
MatchUSBID "0738:1708" 
Driver "evdev"
Option "Buttons" "17"
Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 4 5 0 0 8 9 7 6 12 0 0 0 16 17"
Option "AutoReleaseButtons" "13 14 15"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection
!!!all of this will need to be done with superuser!!!
At the bottom of both,
/etc/X11/conf.d/910-rat.conf << and /usr/share/X11/conf.d/10-evdev.conf <
this configuration may only need to be in one of these places
but I did it this way and I don't want to break it so I haven't tried removing either.

IMPORTANT!!!!>> You will probably need to run the command lsusb while the mouse is plugged in and find out what your mouse's USBID is as it may be different from mine!!!!!!!!
and restart
like, fully restart because ctrlaltbackspace is still broken^^
I have looked around at other sites and it seems this is the solution for the problem but I just don't know how to implement it. As you can see I am very new to Linux and I am slowly learning but this one has really stumped me while I have been able to solve most other hiccups.

Thanks in advance,

Coss
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: RAT7 and Mint cinn 14 problems

Post by passerby »

Put simply:
-Open a terminal (accessories > terminal)
-Type in "lsusb" and press enter. A bunch of values for bus devices will come up. Find the one for your mouse and copy its ID.
(Something like 0738:1708. It comes after Bus xxx Device xxx: ID)
-Type in "sudo gedit /etc/X11/conf.d/910-rat.conf" and press enter. Enter your password when prompted.
You will open a text editor which may or may not have anything in it. Copy and paste the lines you encased in code blocks earlier, but change MatchUSBID "0738:1708" to the value given by lsusb.
-Do the same for the other config file. ( sudo gedit /usr/share/X11/conf.d/10-evdev.conf )

After editing and saving both text files, reboot.
Coss

Post by Coss »

passerby wrote:Put simply:
-Open a terminal (accessories > terminal)
-Type in "lsusb" and press enter. A bunch of values for bus devices will come up. Find the one for your mouse and copy its ID.
(Something like 0738:1708. It comes after Bus xxx Device xxx: ID)
-Type in "sudo gedit /etc/X11/conf.d/910-rat.conf" and press enter. Enter your password when prompted.
You will open a text editor which may or may not have anything in it. Copy and paste the lines you encased in code blocks earlier, but change MatchUSBID "0738:1708" to the value given by lsusb.
-Do the same for the other config file. ( sudo gedit /usr/share/X11/conf.d/10-evdev.conf )

After editing and saving both text files, reboot.
Sweet. I got it working. The orginal fix that I posted worked I just didnt understand the vi mode and how to save my changes and exit. On a side note though does not having the right USBID matter? I seem to have all the functions on the mouse and after running that command in terminal mine was different.
passerby

Post by passerby »

The ID given was just an example. It's unlikely that yours would be the same.
As long as it's not working I wouldn't worry about it :P
Coss

Post by Coss »

passerby wrote:The ID given was just an example. It's unlikely that yours would be the same.
As long as it's not working I wouldn't worry about it :P
Haha, that was the same thought I had!

If it aint broke don't fix it!

Return to “Beginner Questions”