[SOLVED] Gray screen during MATE init: How to correct?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rdanner3

[SOLVED] Gray screen during MATE init: How to correct?

Post by rdanner3 »

Machine: Toshiba Satellite a505-S6005

After MDM validates login name, the screen turns 50% gray until the GUI fully launches, which really messes with my eyes. :x Is there a way to force MATE to use the background color set in MDM instead? It would be much easier on my eyes, I can assure you! :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zikco

Re: Gray screen during MATE init: How to correct?

Post by Zikco »

It may be because the 'Solid Color' selection of the background picker is set to grey,
making MATE use that until the background image you've set loads up.
rdanner3

Post by rdanner3 »

Zikco wrote:It may be because the 'Solid Color' selection of the background picker is set to grey, making MATE use that until the background image you've set loads up.
Strangely enough, no. Both MATE and MDM are explicitly set to a background color (presumably behind the wallpaper!) of black (#000000), not med. gray (#7f7f7f)! I expect something very interesting is going on here. Exactly what, I am not sure. And I'm not sure I am entirely willing to find out! LOL
rdanner3

Post by rdanner3 »

Clarification on when it turns 50% gray: The screen changes from black (MDM's background default on my machine) to 50% gray when the cursor theme is loaded. Now why it does this is still a bit of a mystery to me. Anyone have any clues what's going wrong?
rdanner3

Post by rdanner3 »

Update: On upgrading MATE to the current version, the problem's gone. Apparently, it is an issue with the version of MATE in the Linux Mint repositories? I haven't a clue. Marking as Solved.

Return to “MATE”