why there is no disconnect option of cinnaman nm applet.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FurqanHanif

why there is no disconnect option of cinnaman nm applet.

Post by FurqanHanif »

i want to ask that is there any way to put the network disconnect option in my network manager applet such as in ubuntu etc. i am using linux mint 14 cinnamon.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: why there is no disconnect option of cinnaman nm applet.

Post by xenopeek »

What do you mean? If I click on the network icon in the panel I can disconnect by switching my correct connection to off.
FurqanHanif

Post by FurqanHanif »

suppose i connect to a wifi router now i want to connect to another wifi router so it means i need to disconnect the first wifi ri8 so how i disconnect that wifi. it means i connect to google then after it i want to connect to Mib network so first i need to disconnect to google so how i disconnect from google? i also upload the pic . as u see there is no disconnect option ri8? actually i am not talking about wired connection, i am talking about wireless connection.
hope you understand my question.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

You don't need to disconnect. When I want to change wireless points I just click on the new one I want to click on.
I'm on A and want to go to B then I click on B and it disconnects me from A and connects me to B.
FurqanHanif

Post by FurqanHanif »

but when the power of A become less as compared to B then it connects me to automatically to B. now what? :(
FurqanHanif

Post by FurqanHanif »

please someone help me. please reply of my question. :( :( :( :(
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Sorry I have been researching and looking. And can't find anything that allows you to disable roaming or forcing wifi nm-applet only allow connection to one access point and ignore the others.

Kind of flabbergasted that linux touts how powerful it is but doesn't have some of the basics ironed out.
nm-applet is still a big pain from back in 2008 when using it. Buggy unstable and still is.

I get disconnections from time to time. And nm-applet refuses to re-establish connection and have to go in and manually turn off and back on to get the so called auto-connect to work again.

Was trying out xfce and they used Wicd instead of nm-applet. Not as slick looking but it actually works reconnecting to a lost connection automatically. Thou quite a bit tad slower connecting. And doesn't support VPN or some of the wifi encryption schemes it seems.

These kind of issues had me leave linux the last time. As wifi,graphics cards and CD/Dvd burning apps so immature compared to the windows versions. And still seems a clunky unstable affair with wifi and other hardware issues like printing,sound,etc.. I am reading about the same issues now as I did then.

I know it's not all linux fault and device manufactures shoulder a lot of the blame. But as a user I am not really trying to find who is at fault so much as just get my system running stable and carefree under linux.
FurqanHanif

Post by FurqanHanif »

hmmm thanks for replying. it means i am not the only one whose facing this issue.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Edit the network settings for wireless in Network Manager. For every SSID you don't want to auto-connect to, uncheck the option to automatically connect to that SSID.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
phill1978

Post by phill1978 »

i have had trouble free wifi for years on my desktop and laptop using linux mint since version 13. I used different chipsets too..

.. however. I have problems in cinnamon and i remember the last time i had problems with wifi i was using ubuntu (ageess ago) like version 10. Its to do with the network manager. Im not sure why but with XFCE and KDE I have no problems. The problem with cinnamon is the bizzare auto selection of AP's and an occasional drop of connection but again thats it choosing which AP to roam to.. now , this is i think due to a driver issue and not the nm. Nm reports a too lower signal but it is quite close to the router so i think the driver is set wrong (edimax in my case) and a very low power state is used perhaps a too lower MCS rate (modulation coding scheme.. i.e the bit rate you see when you look on windows is a specific rate 1,2,6,12,18,24,36,48,52mbps etc..) I often have speed fluctuate between 200kbps and 4.0mbps ! so its definatley a driver issue.

However, Having said that why would the driver be different on XFCE? Im not sure but perhaps NM does tinker with the settings ?

I had the problem with LAN also recently using cinnamon! but again fine in KDE / XFCE. Its pretty much stable now so I think an update fixed the LAN issue. When i have chance i will move back onto wired.

Return to “Software & Applications”