LMDE UP 6 regression: /etc/fstab cifs no longer works!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
on4aa

LMDE UP 6 regression: /etc/fstab cifs no longer works!

Post by on4aa »

Ok, I got this regression confirmed on two wired desktops and two wifi-connected laptops that I upgraded this week from LMDE 64 UP5 to UP6.

Previously, on all four machines my server drive mounted automatically over CIFS at boot with the following line in /etc/fstab :

Code: Select all

//servername/home					/media/mountname	cifs	defaults,credentials=/home/username/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0640,dir_mode=0640,uid=username,gid=users	0	0
After upgrading from UP5 to UP6, the drive no longer mounts at boot. I can mount it manually though with:

sudo mount -a
This feels like the network coming up too slowly at boot. However, I am not sure how to debug this one, nor which logs to check.
Thank you in advance for your help! Merry Christmas, peace & love and the whole thing...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: LMDE UP 6 regression: /etc/fstab cifs no longer works!

Post by Monsta »

The closest bug report I could find is this one: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=674039
This looks quite complicated though. Note that the bug's title refers to a different behavior. It seems to have eventually changed to something like what you've experienced.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Monsta wrote:The closest bug report I could find
and here http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepor ... g=674039#6 they mention bug #673936 http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=673936 also mentioned here >> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=112981 (in the last post, ginjabunny reports that the fix is working fine)
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I don't use LMDE but if you're looking for some workarounds:

[1] Back in the olden tymes you were able to add another option to the list that would prevent the boot process from executing that specific line in fstab until the network was up: _netdev

It doesn't seem to work like it used to but it might for you.

[2] Another option is to formalize the " 'mount -a' after booting" process by adding a file to /etc/network/if-up.d:

#!/bin/sh
mount -a
Save the file to ... /etc/network/if-up.d/remount.
Make it executable: sudo chmod +x /etc/network/if-up.d/remount

It will do a "mount -a" only after the network is up.

Side question: How on earth did that mount statement work with a dir_mode argument of 640 and not 750? Are you connecting to another Linux box?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
on4aa

[SOLVED] LMDE UP 6 regression: /etc/fstab cifs no longer wor

Post by on4aa »

@altair4:

[1] I first tried following the documentation by adding _netdev as an option to my cifs line in /etc/fstab
As you correctly predicted, it no longer works.

[2] Then I added your remount script to /etc/network/if-up.d/
SUCCESS! Many thanks! :D

Anyhow, it is a bit sad that Debian Linux got -at least temporarily- complicated to that level. :(
Imagine being a complete n00b and trying to mount a cifs drive for the first time... :roll:

[Side matter] You do have sharp eyes! I indeed never noticed that dir_mode=0640 does not make a lot of sense for newly created directories on my remote server.
I changed it to dir_mode=0750
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: [SOLVED] LMDE UP 6 regression: /etc/fstab cifs no longer

Post by Monsta »

on4aa wrote:Anyhow, it is a bit sad that Debian Linux got -at least temporarily- complicated to that level. :(
Well, this is Debian Testing, after all. :)
iLobster

Post by iLobster »

In my system mount cifs (smbfs) resources at boot with fstab doesn't work for a quite long time. Same commands could be done manually when system finally boot without any question.
So there is a definite problem with fstab, yes.
on4aa

Post by on4aa »

@Montsa
Thanks for reminding me about Debian Testing. I tend to forget this.
nspboarderdude

Post by nspboarderdude »

I had the same issue as on4aa after UP6. The second suggestion from altair4 worked for me as well. Feels like a dirty hack, but hey it works.
on4aa

Post by on4aa »

If you are logging in and out different users during the same session, an occasional hiccup may still happen.

A more reliable location to place

mount -a
is in:
/etc/mdm/PostLogin/Default
/etc/gdm3/PostLogin/Default
/etc/kdm/PostLogin/Default
/etc/lightdm/PostLogin/Default
/etc/xdm/PostLogin/Default
depending on the display manager in use.

Be sure to rename the Default.sample file to Default for this to work.
kcpoole

Post by kcpoole »

I am having the same issue as mentioned and Rather than a workaround, is it going to be fixed at any time?

Ken

Return to “LMDE Archive”