[solved] No support for NL nl UTF8

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KeesA

[solved] No support for NL nl UTF8

Post by KeesA »

Frequently, I get this message.
For as far as I know, UTF8 is ASCIi and UTF16 is Unicode.
Correct me if I am wrong.
My question: How can I support UTF8 so that I don't get these messages.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: No support for NL nl UTF8

Post by xenopeek »

UTF = Unicode. It may use 8, 16 or even 32 bits. It's still Unicode and can still encode all characters. 8 and 16 bits are variable-width, needing a longer sequence to encode some characters. 32 bits is fixed-width, needing always exactly 32 bits to encode a character. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_Tr ... racter_Set

As to your problem, are you perhaps using MATE? Then on the log in screen, set your default language to NL. That should fix the problem.
KeesA

Post by KeesA »

Thank you for the link and the suggestion to change my language in the inlog screen.
What about the article in Wikepedia I linked to, I found it hard to read but what i think it comes down to is that for

8 bits a character is stored as 0-255
16 bits there is an extra bite for the order of significant bit (right to left or vise-versa).
32 bits: I don't get it since the article says that GNU gcc compilers convert a char to it for internal representation.
I wrote a C program myself and this is what I get:

kees@kees-OptiPlex-GX620 ~/Size_Of_Primitives_Lin/obj/Debug $ ./a.out

Rebuild on Linux Mint 14 Mate.

Used compiler: GNU gcc compiler

The size of a char is 8 bits.
The size of an unsigned char is 8 bits.
The size of a short int is 16 bits.
The size of an int is 32 bits.
The size of a long int is 32 bits.
The size of a float is 32 bits.
The size of a double is 64 bits.
The size of a long double is 96 bits.
The size of void is 1 bits.

8 bits, so how can this happen or do I not understand what the article is saying about UTF32.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Then have a look at the UTF-8 page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8. Basically, you are accustomed to thinking 1 byte = 1 character as it the case with extended ASCII. UTF-8 has encoding scheme so it can potentially represent the 4 billion characters that are possible with Unicode. 1 character may take just 1 byte, or it may need a sequence of bytes to encode 1 character. The same for UTF-16, though there 1 character is always at least 2 bytes. With UTF-32 there is no need for an encoding scheme, as 4 bytes can represent all 4 billion characters that are possible with Unicode.
KeesA

Post by KeesA »

Ok, I made it up to halfway the page for now and I get the idea of it.
Not so easy stuff but for further reading and why the C program gave the output I showed, here is another link:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html#c
For me the topic is solved.
Thank you for the information.

Return to “Beginner Questions”