hassle free boot to console?

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

hassle free boot to console?

Postby ceratophyllum on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:48 am

I'm was playing with a Raspberry Pi recently and I really like how in Raspbian Xorg does not start automatically at startup. Is there a way I can configure this behavior in Linux Mint? I want to be able to go back to Xorg, but want to hack around with svgalib. I was surprised to be able to get a few svgalib examples to compile without problems and want to try out the programs. I don't know much about graphics/GUI programming, but I really like the simplicity of the svgalib examples. Unlike the X mess, I can actually make some sense of this stuff.

I remember having some problems with Ubuntu a few years back when I tried to set up a system that behaved like a pre-Windows95 PC: boot to console, type win to start GUI. I was always fighting with updates, which insisted on starting the login manager, suspend-to-ram seemed to be goofed up, and configuring wireless was hopeless. Is there an ncurses wireless network config tool?

Surely, other people don't want to be trapped in Xorg and have done this before? I'm mostly worried about the unexpected consequences of making changes (and forgetting what I did) to some /etc/blah/init/blah/file or having to uninstall <whatever>DM the distribution currently favors.
ceratophyllum
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Others