Finding your username.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nimmy

Finding your username.

Post by nimmy »

Hello

i am totally new to Mint and i installed it. It asked for the password, I used a simple one that I can easy rememember, likewise the password.

This is the problem, after all the install was done, I went to log in and it wouldn't recognise the username. I tried the usual, caps on off and all the rest, nothing.

Is there anyway of finding out what the username is without logging in?

thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Finding your username.

Post by jungle_boy »

Reinstall it and save the name and password. Is faster.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
nimmy

Post by nimmy »

Thanks for the reply.

I know the username, it's the most simple one I use, infact, it's the same as my display name here.

I am curious now to know exactly what went wrong and see what the user ended up being (maybe i miss hit a key). I know it's not the password, again that was a simple to rememebmr one and I even double check using the method below:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 87#p621487

which work just fine, don't seem to be able to find somehting similar for username.

I installed it on an old laptop for the purposes of exploring it, so security was not uppermost in my mind, simple user, simple password.

Maybe a reinstall is the only way.

Cheers.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Boot into the install DVD - not to reinstall but just to get into a live session.
Mount the partition that your real install lives in
Go to /etc/passwd ( note the spelling of passwd )

In there are all the users on your installed system ( you may not have realized that some of these are users but ... ). The one you created during your install should be in there somewhere.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
nimmy

Post by nimmy »

Thanks for that, altair4, unfortunatley it won't let me boot from the dvd, even if I change the boot order in the bios. SO I can't do your method not reinstall. I'll probaly have to go into windows, delete the partition and recreate it.

thanks, any way.
nimmy

Post by nimmy »

So i found the command, it's merely whoami, this gives the currenty user.

So I need to mount the partition how is this done?

I used the command $ mount /dev sada6, and it merely stated only root can do that.

Thanks.

Return to “Installation & Boot”