Install New Distro

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Install New Distro

Postby bleichtman on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:11 pm

Let me start by saying I love LinuxMint. Being new to Linux I also want to experience other distros. I tried creating bootable usbs but none of them seemto work since I installed mint. I'm on an asus x401a and by bios has been set to boot from usb. When i restart, I'm taken to the grubmenu with the linux mint distro listed, linux mint recovery listed, and system settings listed. No matter what I try Ican't get another distro to load. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
bleichtman
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Install New Distro

Postby usbtux on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:19 pm

You need to go into your bios and make usb top of the boot list. As the computer starts - before grub, you should see a list of comands - try pressing del or F2 or F8.
Or you may have a boot manager that will allow you to temp boot to a diferent drive.
http://goo.gl/DXKgM LinuxMint tutorials.
Running LinuxMint 17 Cinnamon/KDE/XFCE
http://goo.gl/WFu0u Installing Mint - the screen cast videos.
linuxcounter #368850
usbtux
Level 5
Level 5

Postby rob1980 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:25 pm

I found on my system, that, even though I was using a USB flash device, the bios would boot it from "USB-HDD".
rob1980
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bleichtman on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:21 pm

usbtux wrote:You need to go into your bios and make usb top of the boot list. As the computer starts - before grub, you should see a list of comands - try pressing del or F2 or F8.
Or you may have a boot manager that will allow you to temp boot to a diferent drive.

tried all those, still took me to the grub menu and offered only the 3 choices listed above. still no option to load / install new distro
bleichtman
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot