Grub Screen After Update

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
velky_pivo
Level 2
Level 2

Grub Screen After Update

Post by velky_pivo »

System:
multi hd with hd switch - only use one hd switched on at a time
mint 10 and 13 partitions are on one same hd
was set to use bootloader from mint 10

After last mint 13 update I can not get to the OS menu.
As soon as PC boots I get Grub prompt.

During the update I was asked a question if I wanted to keep my own modification "custom_10" file
(or config_10 ?, not sure about what the exact name was), or if I should let update use its own version.
I selected "keep" because I wanted to keep the Mint 10 boot menu

How do I fix this without loosing data ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Grub Screen After Update

Post by DrHu »

The install you executed was done on Mint 13, I would guess
--I expect the bootloader options/features and boot parameters have changed enough from Mint 10-->13 to require some edits to get your own boot menu again

Looks like the filename it wants to use for that grub update is config_10 (not custom_10)
--so
  • Save the config_10 file it it did it stall it or check the file numbers under the boot/grub (I think it is there)
    --seeing what does exist
  • Copy /replace the default file name config_10 with custom_10
  • Rename the replaced file as the default name (config_10)
    --you may need to check out grub a bit to see what chnages were made: a text file or other (GUI) file comparison
    --or check the dates on the files you will be checking to see the latest ones that were created (either by Grub or you terminal command decisions..
velky_pivo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Grub Screen After Update

Post by velky_pivo »

Sorry about the confusion, the file name was fine, I just did not write it down, so I was not sure about the name.

It is all about grub 1 and grub 2 (mint 10 and 13) differences. Drive mapping does not quite agree.

I recalled I had this issue before and found my own thread dealing with this.

Anyway what fixed it was running maya livecd, and after checking gparted which partition was bootable,
I typed:

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

i did get an error about location of /boot but
i also got back my Mint 10 style boot menu back (and did not loose any data on either partition)

I wonder what would have happened had I not kept that custom boot file, and let maya update change it,
(I am sure I will run into this in the near future again).

Return to “Beginner Questions”