Fresh install but can't log in

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shrav

Fresh install but can't log in

Post by Shrav »

Hi. Fresh install on a new machine. Get log in window but after putting in name and password it just brings me back to the log in screen again. Reinstalled three times with same result. Tried Ubuntu 12.10 and it works. Suggestions? Or an easy way to convert Ubuntu to mint from terminal. Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Fresh install but can't log in

Post by jungle_boy »

Do you checked md5sum downloaded iso image?

Do you burnt in slow speed (~3x)

Do you used a good quality media?
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
Shrav

Post by Shrav »

Im positive I used that disc to install on my laptop and my old desktop (the one this new one is replacing)
Shrav

Post by Shrav »

Tried a new copy. It works if I install Ubuntu first then install mint without formatting the root and home partitions. When I tried but formatted them I had the same login problem. I'll try installing 13 with a reformat and if that works I'll install 14 over that without a format. I'll report back
analyticalman

Post by analyticalman »

Just had exactly the same thing happen to me (Magazine coverdisc Cinnamon 64 bit). However, I found I could log in if I changed session to Gnome. Then logged in, installed nvidia drivers and did a mint update (215 packages) rebooted and now all is well

Return to “Installation & Boot”