Mint without a desktop environment

Chat about just about anything else

Mint without a desktop environment

Postby xclusive585 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:47 am

I don't want to make a distro based on Mint. I want Mint to release their os without a desktop environment as a server edition.

Please?

It's really nothing but compiling an image without desktop environment or dependencies for a DE.

Pretty please?
-Dave

“The only way to fix Linux is to take one distro, one set of components as a baseline, abandon everything else and everyone should just contribute to this single Linux..."
xclusive585
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint without a desktop environment

Postby xenopeek on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:33 am

Post split from viewtopic.php?f=17&t=28717 and moved here. Have a look around the Suggestions & New Ideas, or on the Community site; this has been suggested before quite a few times. The answer is always the same; what makes Linux Mint is the desktop environment refinements. If you strip that, you get the Ubuntu Server Edition...
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby xclusive585 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:26 pm

xenopeek wrote:Post split from viewtopic.php?f=17&t=28717 and moved here. Have a look around the Suggestions & New Ideas, or on the Community site; this has been suggested before quite a few times. The answer is always the same; what makes Linux Mint is the desktop environment refinements. If you strip that, you get the Ubuntu Server Edition...

Can you take Ubuntu server and re-brand it then?
=P

But seriously.
Another thing that makes Mint what it is, is it doesn't follow Ubuntu's updates! Mintupdate has the packages to be updated figured out by someone at Mint I'm assuming.
You could make it Mint server, as opposed to Ubuntu server simply by forking apt-get into mint-get, and feed mintupdates into that, so we don't have Ubuntu's 50 daily updates always breaking things...
-Dave

“The only way to fix Linux is to take one distro, one set of components as a baseline, abandon everything else and everyone should just contribute to this single Linux..."
xclusive585
Level 2
Level 2

Postby xclusive585 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:05 pm

xenopeek wrote:Post split from viewtopic.php?f=17&t=28717 and moved here. Have a look around the Suggestions & New Ideas, or on the Community site; this has been suggested before quite a few times. The answer is always the same; what makes Linux Mint is the desktop environment refinements. If you strip that, you get the Ubuntu Server Edition...

You have XFCE and KDE, which are not Mint desktops...
-Dave

xclusive585
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Catbuntu on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:11 pm

I think that a server edition would be great, but I have to admit that it would be more work and more things to mantain... Especially a server edition, where the stability is primordial. And, in my opinion, Ubuntu Server is good enough... But if a Minty fan did a server edition, I'd like it :)

Cat
Acer Aspire 6930.
CPU→Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,00GHz. RAM3GB. Graphics card→NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS. O.S.→Linux Mint 14.1 «Nadia» 64-bit Cinnamon ed.
Catbuntu's Bloggie
Catbuntu
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Open chat