Internet problems prehaps DNS [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sleepingcells

Internet problems prehaps DNS [SOLVED]

Post by sleepingcells »

Ok first off: I don't know shit about linux.

I was upgrading from Maya to Nadia using the "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" command and my computer died halfway through the update. I reconnected the power source and rebooted into a cinnamon session. now my tool bar that minimizes, expands, and closes the windows are non-existent. Also I am able to establish a connection to my router but when I open my browser it fails to connect. I would like to know if it's possible for me to fix this, or do I have to reinstall everything?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Internet problems prehaps DNS

Post by passerby »

Controlling each bar is the job of the window manager, muffin. It may have been lost during the attempted upgrade.
Try opening a terminal and running "muffin" to see if it's been removed or otherwise become problematic.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

If your computer died during the installation, something might only be half-installed. Try this command:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --configure -a
IF that doesn't work, here's a tutorial on how to fix broken packages in Mint: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/482
sleepingcells

Post by sleepingcells »

bigj231 wrote:If your computer died during the installation, something might only be half-installed. Try this command:

sudo dpkg --configure -a
IF that doesn't work, here's a tutorial on how to fix broken packages in Mint: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/482
Thank you very much.
sleepingcells

Post by sleepingcells »

I tried using the tutorial and it doesn't work. When ever I use the "sudo apt-get update" command it fails to fetch the packages and times out.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Do you have any internet connection? Try pinging Google.

ping www.google.com
it should immediately start giving you output similar to:

PING www.google.com (74.125.130.105) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from gh-in-f105.1e100.net (74.125.130.105): icmp_req=1 ttl=47 time=71.2 ms

It sounds like you don't have any internet connection. Try removing any static IP settings in your router. I had a server that would not connect to the internet because I had a reserved IP set on the router and DHCP on the server. It worked fine before an update, and broke after.

Also, you could open synaptic and see what packages are broken. Then you could download them from your favorite mirror on another machine or OS, put them on a USB drive or CD, and install them. Or just grab all the files that you still need to install from your update and install them from the external media.
sleepingcells

Post by sleepingcells »

Nevermind. Problem solved. Reinstalled the operating system...
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

I hate to say it, but sometimes that is the easiest way to fix stuff like this. Could you edit the title of your original post to include "[SOLVED]"?

Return to “Beginner Questions”