How NOT to mount NTFS partitions?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
junior-s

How NOT to mount NTFS partitions?

Post by junior-s »

Whenever I start Mint it mounts Windows' partitions. Is there any wahy NOT to mount it by default?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How NOT to mount NTFS partitions?

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

junior-s wrote:Whenever I start Mint it mounts Windows' partitions. Is there any wahy NOT to mount it by default?
Are sure it's being mounted? Mint doesn't mount partitions unless an user allow it to? Showing a partition and mounting are two different things.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
junior-s

Post by junior-s »

Yes. Just noticed it shows it, but doesn't mount by default. Thing is you doesn't need root passwd to mount then (which is really a security threat for me). I read somewhere I can edit the /etc/fstab not to show/mount them when Mint boots up, but I couldn't find it anywhere.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

junior-s wrote:Yes. Just noticed it shows it, but doesn't mount by default. Thing is you doesn't need root passwd to mount then (which is really a security threat for me). I read somewhere I can edit the /etc/fstab not to show/mount them when Mint boots up, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

search the web for "hide partitions [file manager name]"

Hamza21.com
junior-s

Post by junior-s »

Untick the "Computer icon visible on the desktop", "Home icon visible on the desktop" and "Show mounted volumes on the desktop", then close the window.
'-'
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

junior-s wrote:
Untick the "Computer icon visible on the desktop", "Home icon visible on the desktop" and "Show mounted volumes on the desktop", then close the window.
'-'

Drives,mounted and unmounted, are only show on the desktop using the live dvd. They are not shown on desktop when linux mint is installed but they are displayed in left hand panel of a file manger. Only usb connected devices (external hard drives/usb sticks/mp3 players,etc) are displayed on the desktop.

Hamza21.com
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

This is an example:

[1] Run the following command to find the correct UUID number for your ntfs partition:

Code: Select all

sudo blkid -c /dev/null
[2] Create a mount point for the ntfs partition - we aren't going to actually mount it - trust me :wink:

sudo mkdir /mnt/WinC
[3] Add a line to /etc/fstab that looks like this - using the correct UUID from step [1] and the correct mount point from step [2]:

UUID=200C11850C1156DE /mnt/WinC ntfs defaults,noauto 0 0
[4] Run the following command to test for syntax errors:

sudo mount -a
The next time you boot into your system the WinC partition will not be mounted and it will not show up in Computer or in Nemo/Caja/ or whatever file manager you are using - that's what the "noauto" option does.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”