Linux on my tablet?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
snikt.biff

Linux on my tablet?

Post by snikt.biff »

I have a very cheap 4GB tablet and the OS on it just bogs it down, even though I am running it as it comes out of the box, no added software or files.

I understand Mint needs 4GB to run but I don't need EVERYeverything on the tablet, so... Is it possible to install Linux on it? If so, do you know how? Also, the only input device on it is a USB port.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux on my tablet?

Post by gibbs1984 »

What OS is on the tablet?

Assuming it is Android?

I have seen Ubuntu on Android tablets but I think it's just a select few tablets.

If the OS is bogging it down have you not tried rooting and flashing a custom ROM that might perform better on your tablet?
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
snikt.biff

Post by snikt.biff »

gibbs1984 wrote:What OS is on the tablet?

Assuming it is Android?

I have seen Ubuntu on Android tablets but I think it's just a select few tablets.

If the OS is bogging it down have you not tried rooting and flashing a custom ROM that might perform better on your tablet?
It is an Android. I am not sure what OS it is running currently. I have not tried anything with it yet because I've been trying to do some research on it... It wasn't purchased, my parents got it for free for listening to some sort of salesman's schpeel, and they said they were "too old" to use that kind of thing and didn't like it. I cannot find any brand names or anything. It uses opera to surf the web. Upon inspection I suspect that this salesman's company had special ordered some especially cheap ones for this purpose. I know they are not too old for it at all, and if I could just put some functioning software on it, they could actually get some use out of it.

Also, I am a linux newb. I have seen an Android phone rooted before but never done anything like this myself. I really expected when I took on this task that I would find the model of it online and then find a very easy tutorial on how to make it better...

-edit- Actually, I think it might be this:
http://www.tabletpcfactory.com/android- ... p-929.html
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

First, be aware that most Android based tablets, if that is what this is, and many other cheap computing devices use some form of ARM processor, not an x86 based processor, so Mint doesn't support a version which will work on them, at all.

You might find a way to root the tablet and update from Android 2.x to at least an Android 3.x version which was written to support tablet features, but then again, you might not, either. It depends on the processing power and RAM available on the unit.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.

Return to “Hardware Support”