[Solved] Ex-windows user looking for some similar functios.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nino Draven

[Solved] Ex-windows user looking for some similar functios.

Post by Nino Draven »

Hello mint community.
First off, I am running mint 14 64-bit with Cinnamon.
And here's my relatively small issue: When I open a folder in the file manager, say /home/nino/Desktop/whatever, at the top panel of the window it shows me the location of it with clickable icons for fast access to the folders that contain my current folder. In win7 I was able to click next to the last folder and a location bar would open up where I was able to type/copy/paste a location that I wanted to visit. For example if I was in C:/Program Files/SomeProgram I could just delete the SomeProgram part and replace it with SomeOtherProgram, press enter and go to said folder. Is there a way to do that in linux? If not, is there a way to open a folder in the file manager by pasting it's location in the terminal?

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Ex-windows user looking for some similar functionality.

Post by passerby »

Quick & dirty: press Ctrl + L
Permanently: Cinnamon Settings > Themes > Other Settings > check "Always Use Location Entry In Nemo"
Nino Draven

Post by Nino Draven »

passerby wrote:Quick & dirty: press Ctrl + L
Permanently: Cinnamon Settings > Themes > Other Settings > check "Always Use Location Entry In Nemo"
Thank you very much for your reply.
I take it the file manager is called Nemo. Is there a webpage where I can review it's hotkeys and whatnot?
passerby

Post by passerby »

Yep, Nemo is the default file manager for Cinnamon.
I don't know if there's a specific webpage for its shortcuts, but it's a fork of Nautilus (the file manager for gnome), so the shortcuts should be more or less the same.
Though I don't know if there's a specific page for nautilus' shortcuts either.
For starters: http://www.ihaveapc.com/2011/05/list-of ... shortcuts/
I'm afraid you'll have to wait for someone more knowledgeable on the subject (or do some googling on nemo and nautilus).

Return to “Beginner Questions”