[SOLVED] Remap Win key to open Kicker laucher?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
loobyloo

[SOLVED] Remap Win key to open Kicker laucher?

Post by loobyloo »

Hello all

Just started with Mint and just finding my way round. Very pleased that it got me straight onto my wireless internet (something that neither Mepis nor Mageia could do).

Is there a way of making the LH Win key bring up the main menu? When I used to use Mepis someone showed me how to write a little shell script and then tell it to Autostart. It was a bit of a faff, but it worked. Of course, I didn't save the script.

Has anyone found a way of doing this? It's not allowed by doing it through keyboard shortcuts--you have to use two keys. (Edit: actually, there doesn't seem to be an option for lauching the Kicker at all in the shortcuts)

TIA

Cliff
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
loobyloo

Re: [SOLVED] Remap Win key to open Kicker laucher?

Post by loobyloo »

I have worked out how to do this, by looking back at an old thread on the Mepis forums.

Use the xev command to find out the keycode for the Winkey by opening xev in a terminal, pressing the winkey and making a note of the numerical output. In my case it's 133 but when I used Mepis is was 115.

Write the following file and save it as something (mine is win-key.sh), changing the keycode number if necessary.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
xmodmap -e 'keycode 133 = F13'
Put it in home/.kde/Autostart and make it executable.

Right click on the application launcher and go to Application Launcher Settings > Keyboard Shortcut.

You should be able to press the winkey, and it will show as F13.

Now, the winkey will behave like it does in Windows. You might need to check it survives a reboot though.

HTH
Zalbor

Post by Zalbor »

Of course that removes the ability to use it as a modifier key, to zoom in for example.
I'd like it to open the menu too, but if I'd lose its other uses I'm fine with using win+space to do it.
loobyloo

Post by loobyloo »

Zalbor wrote:Of course that removes the ability to use it as a modifier key, to zoom in for example.
I'd like it to open the menu too, but if I'd lose its other uses I'm fine with using win+space to do it.
It's a trade off I suppose as there's advantages and disadvantages. I use the menu more frequently than the zoom so it's that that I want to come up instantly with one key. And if I may be allowed to confess my sins, I must say for me, it's one of the useful bits of Windows behaviour that I'd like to retain.

Return to “Beginner Questions”