LibreOffice - frozen office

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

LibreOffice - frozen office

Post by rudar »

After I experienced some problems with LO 3.5.4 (see here in detail: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=118069), I installed LO 3.6.4. My old problems while editing the texts are gone, but then another problem has appeared: LO occasionally freazes.

As the version offered in LMDE repositories is not satisfactory (it is outdated, I have an issue working with my texts), few weeks ago I downloaded the newest stable version directly from www.libreoffice.org. I installed it easily enough, but occasionally when I try to open my texts, the Writer is dead. Nothing happens, I only see the empty logo on my screen and it cannot be removed either. I believe this has nothing to do with LMDE, because all other programs and Terminal work just fine. When I tried to settle the matter through looking for open processes, LO was not shown. I tried then to Log-out, nothing happened. Finally I opted for the most primitive solution, restart and then I got the following message:

/opt/libreoffice3.6/program/soffice Not responding

I rebooted and it finally succeeded, but only with my second attempt. In other words, I had to restart twice in order to continue to use my LO Writer normally, as if nothing happened. But something is happening and I don't know what. Is it possible to check through the Terminal which processes are active? Is it possible to kill the unresponding process through the Terminal directly? At the end, let me say that there was no freazing with earlier versions of LO (I used first 3.4 and then 3.5, all of them only as installed in LMDE). Would you perhaps include this version LO 3.6.4 with the UP 7, when it comes? Thank you in advance, I would appreciate any reply.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Paulm

Re: LibreOffice - frozen office

Post by Paulm »

I am using LibreOffice 4.0.0.1 which works fine.

If I were you, I would go to Synaptic and remove all your original LibreOffice files.

Then download the LibreOffice tar file for your OS (32 or 64Bit) plus the help tar file.
Right click and extract to say your desktop, open the folder go to the deb folder.
Start your terminal and: type CD and drag this deb folder into the terminal.
Next type > sudo dpkg -i *.deb < and press enter.
This will extract all your files and the folder will be located at system/opt/libreoffice4.0

Now open the deb folder and you will find another folder called > desktop-integration <
CD and drag into the terminal as before, and repeat >sudo dpkg -i *.deb <
and this will put your icons and link into applications/ office.

Repeat again to install the help items.
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rudar »

Thank you, Paulm. But this is basically what I did when I was installing LO 3.6.4, the version I am using right now. Practically all the steps you mention here. Only it freezes sometimes and I have to restart, which can't be good.
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rudar »

I discovered apparently the same problem with the mainstream editions, LM 13 and LM 14, and I tried to apply here the solution they advise: to disable hardware acceleration and anti-aliasing, as well as Java, but it was in vain. They even wrote the problems were only with Cinnamon, and everything went well when they switched to Gnome Classic. However, I never use Cinnamon in LMDE, only Mate.
I managed in the Terminal to kill the unresponding process with xkill, but I still cannot use LibreOffice without rebooting, sometimes even more than once. Any suggestions, please?
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rudar »

When I raised this question at another forum, someone recommended me to install LO 4.0. I am not ready to accept this advice, for there may appear another bug. I will stick to LO 3.6.4 for the time being and try to find out why it occasionally freezes (though I admit it happens so rarely).
It would make me happy if someone using LMDE would offer a comment about this matter.

Return to “LMDE Archive”