Fedora 18

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The Dark Side

Fedora 18

Post by The Dark Side »

Really was a little disappointed with this new version of Fedora, but Fedora 16 and Fedora 17 were very good. I download it to try it and see if Fedora was on the right track taking the two previous versions, andI think that here the Fedora team, despite its two-month delay, we note that this version of Fedora is too neglected, wanted to make easy and ruined.- From as Gnome 3 version its a real garbage, without any grace. Still do not know how people still have the Fedora Gnome 3 shit as a main desktop.....

The KDE version is to my taste, the best version I did in Fedora 18. Also notice that not too careful, but it works best. Also the LXDE version is pretty good, with the XFCE version looks more neglected than ever, abruptly crashes, Fedora really made ​​a terrible version with XFCE, Linux Mint XFCE and Xubuntu are much better than Fedora with this desktop.-

And, as the cherry on the cake, is the new installer did. An absolute disaster, it seems that was created for touch screens like the shit of Gnome 3. An installer unintuitive, dangerous (because it has some hidden options that are not under), and rather crude and ugly to use. I prefer the old installer whole life. I hope to improve Fedora 19 these things, and much. If necessary, it would be nice to return to the old installer, which worked much better ..... Good Luck for the next Fedora 19..... Best Regards.-
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Fedora 18

Post by DrHu »

I have no particular opinion on (Red Hat) Fedora's efforts other than to say they are fairly careful in what they offer: they don't necessary try to be bleeding edge; rather they try to be solid, and for the most part they succeed in that.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/NewInstaller
--I'll suggest people check for themselves before deciding..

They were pretty much the first distribution to offer a later KDE desktop (kde 4x..) as soon as it became available, but they did tweak it before putting it out for distribution.
--despite the usual teething problems with any new desktop application set..
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep some of the negativity comes from just too rushed to release and buggy?
That is the impression I'm getting from what I have read around so far.
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bjornmu »

I actually tried Fedora 18 beta on this new box, but the installer was in very bad shape. I tried 3 times to manually partition the SSD on which I had done a trial install first, and it failed in 3 different ways. :roll: So you can thank the broken installer that I ended up with Mint instead. :) I did manage to install it but then I had no desktop....
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Fedora 18 Spherical Cow review - Bad bad bad
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fedora-18-kde.html
"This has to be one of the most underwhelming Fedora releases in a long, long time. It features a most uniquely stupid installation and a sensationally buggy live session, plus a fairly bland post-install experience, with not a single exciting thing to set it apart from so many other distributions. The Spherical Cow is boring at best, completely borked otherwise.

Even if you ignore the installation woes, which really make me wish I had a pneumatic nail gun and could staple some fingers through a keyboard, you still have a system that won't print to network shares or play music. And it won't display any desktop effects, plus it's rather hungry. All that used to be Fedora is so messed up this time, it's crazy."
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

That installer (anaconda) is... an experience.

Usually fedora is stable and fast, more so than Mint and Ubuntu on my machine at least, but I ain't wrestling with that snake again.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Alan Cox Calls Fedora 18 "The Worst Red Hat Distro"
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... px=MTI4MjI
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Hm. Well, I installed Fedora 18 GNOME here. The installer needs to get better, but it's their first time out with it, so I'm guessing that it will get better. I managed to get through it okay and get F18 installed on my multi-boot set-up. Running it for a few days now, and the release looks good here.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Fedora 18 its regular (although KDE and LXDE works pretty well, but with Gnome 3 or XFCE experience is not as good), but not as much as Alan Cox pint. After installation is quite stable, the worst is the new Anaconda installer. The worst version of Fedora I've used its Fedora 15, had errors of every kind and color. Greetings.-
Wolfen69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wolfen69 »

Orbmiser wrote:Yep some of the negativity comes from just too rushed to release and buggy?
That is the impression I'm getting from what I have read around so far.
Fedora exists for Red Hat. It never claimed to be a rock solid distro made for the average person. New things are introduced into Fedora, and after enough testing, might make it into Red Hat. If being a beta tester is not for you, consider using something else.

I thought Fedora was OK, but found I like the Debian/Ubuntu/Mint way of doing things to be the best for me.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

"If being a beta tester is not for you, consider using something else."
Wasn't considering it for myself. Those quotes were from others.
And being a full number release don't think that means Beta version?
Just sharing the news making it available to other's that may be considering it.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Wolfen69 wrote:Fedora exists for Red Hat. It never claimed to be a rock solid distro made for the average person. New things are introduced into Fedora, and after enough testing, might make it into Red Hat. If being a beta tester is not for you, consider using something else.
I think that sums it up well. If you want to run Fedora, be aware of what it's all about. I enjoy running it, but I wouldn't depend on it as my only or primary distro.

That being said, they do quite a good job, considering the type of distro Fedora is (testing, trying out new things). Sometimes a kernel update will come down the pipes that gives me trouble, so I just switch to using the previous kernel until the next one comes, which usually doesn't take very long. Like, the next week.

Other than that, my Fedora installations have been pretty good so far. To me, Fedora 18 GNOME looks fine, and the new Anaconda wasn't all that bad for being their first crack at it. I've still got Fedora 17 (KDE spin) running here, too.
Wolfen69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wolfen69 »

Orbmiser wrote:
"If being a beta tester is not for you, consider using something else."
Wasn't considering it for myself. Those quotes were from others.
And being a full number release don't think that means Beta version?
Just sharing the news making it available to other's that may be considering it.
Numbers don't mean anything anymore. A release is a release. Fedora has always been cutting edge, and really wasn't meant for grandpa to use without issues. Sure, some of us more savvy users can work around issues that will pop up, but in the end it is what I consider a "stable" testing platform.

In my opinion, stick with the Debian family of linux's if you want rock solid.

Return to “Chat about Linux”