Please, something that just works!

Chat about Linux in general

Re: Please, something that just works!

Postby ausmuso on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:03 am

I don't know that there is any such product, but my Mint 13 (with LXDE desktop) comes closer than anything I've worked with before or since.
I've been running it on my daily work computer since June 2012. I took me 2 days to get it set up and working exactly the way I like it and it hasn't crashed once since then. That's more than I can say for my car or my dishwasher!

If you really want perfection, better not use a computer at all. Use pen and pencil instead.
With Linux from 1997 (Slackware, Caldera, Red Hat, Mandrake, (Open)SuSE, Poppy, Ubuntu, CentOS) currently Mint LMDE & 13 Cinnamon w. LXDE desktops
ausmuso
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby sagirfahmid3 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:15 pm

ausmuso wrote:If you really want perfection, better not use a computer at all. Use pen and pencil instead.

Dat answer... +1 lol
sagirfahmid3
Level 6
Level 6

Postby dcihon on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:17 pm

Sorry I had to chime in.
You can't even use a pencil out of the box. It has to be sharpened.
Kernel 3.2.0-3-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Distro Linux Mint Xfce Edition
ATI - Tracking - Testing
dcihon
Level 4
Level 4

Postby zeke on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:00 am

ausmuso wrote:I don't know that there is any such product, but my Mint 13 (with LXDE desktop) comes closer than anything I've worked with before or since.
I've been running it on my daily work computer since June 2012. I took me 2 days to get it set up and working exactly the way I like it and it hasn't crashed once since then. That's more than I can say for my car or my dishwasher!

If you really want perfection, better not use a computer at all. Use pen and pencil instead.

Nobody has even mentioned that of course pencils break too. And don't get me started on paper cuts.

But anyway...
I'm using Mint 13 w/ KDE - it works fine and I didn't have any problems installing it. I have no immediate need to upgrade, but eventually I'll come across application updates I want that don't support this version, so the question is whether future versions will work as well, and as far as I can tell, the answer is a definite "maybe".
zeke
Level 1
Level 1

Previous

Return to Chat about Linux