(SOLVED) Choose an Application - finding the path

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mister_playb

(SOLVED) Choose an Application - finding the path

Post by mister_playb »

Hi,

i try to download a torrent using a magnet-link. My default torrent client is deluge. When i click the magnet-link, a get a pop-up to use deluge or to choose an application. How do i select deluge, what is the path after i click the choose an application button?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Choose an Application - finding the path

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

right-click on a torrent file, click on properties, click on the "open with" tab. is deluge listed there? if so, select it to be your default. if not, click on "add", click on "use custom command", insert /usr/bin/deluge and click add.
http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=838
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
mister_playb

Re: Choose an Application - finding the path

Post by mister_playb »

with the normal torrent file i have deluge as my standard torrent client selected, so if i double click a torrent file deluge will pop up. but with the magnet link that piratebay uses, there is no torrent file to save on the computer, you just click the magnet-link, and the windows pops up (see foto).
sculptor

Re: (SOLVED) Choose an Application - finding the path

Post by sculptor »

How is this solved? I have exactly the same issue: Transmission is set up as my default for Torrent files, but for Magnet links it is not, and I don't have an option to select it. I don't think whoever marked this as solved understood properly the issue. Torrent files and Magnet links are different things!

To spell it out in another way, when I right-click on a magnet link I don't get an option to change the program it will open with. I only get the same box as the OP when I left-click the magnet link.
sculptor

Re: (SOLVED) Choose an Application - finding the path

Post by sculptor »

Managed to find the answer elsewhere - anyone else having this issue needs to find their torrent application in /usr/bin/

Return to “Beginner Questions”