Xfce Applications Menus

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
finjs

Xfce Applications Menus

Post by finjs »

Can anyone explain to me how the Xfce applications menus are organized, please? My question is about the applications classification popping up when you click on "Menu".

I noticed each application is given an attribute like Accessories, Education, Internet, etc. in a special file to place it in a category. I even noticed the same application can be in more than one category. Are there folders named after categories in which applications aliases are kept? Assuming there are, where are they located?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: Xfce Applications Menus

Post by jjaythomas »

You can install 'alacarte' or others (lxmed ect.)
and edit the menus to how like (you can also manually edit file I believe).

I think for alacarte you have to be using 'default' menu. right click menu 'properties. Edit will also be in properties once alacarte is installed.

J.Jay

P.S. alacarte used to depend on alot of 'Gnome' stuff (but not anymore) :D
finjs

Post by finjs »

Thanks for the tip, jjay. I'll download Alacarte. Do you happen to know if the menu structure replicates a folders hierachy?
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

forgot to mention...

You can also use "Aplication Finder' as a menu.
1. put in menu (drag and drop' (will create a launcher in menu)
2. right click on lets you change properties of launcher (I change to a LMint icon)

The App Finder use the default menu (so can change with 'alacarte' (must use from Setting.main menu)
The App finder was rewritten for XFCE 4.10 (preference button in app itself). I use large Icons and alacarte (have 'Favorites A launcher with multiple itiem menu and places plugin also on panel(before and after)
You can search from it.
You can change the size and it rembers now (4.10)
Default placement is upper left corner (works good I move panel to top and put new launcher on left anyways) but you can change default placement of windows in setting>Window Manager tweaks (will effect all windows thou.

I Can get a 'Quazi Mint Menu/Cinamon menu feel. :wink:

J.Jay

P.S. you can in 4.8 also but the prefernce button not present (tweaking alot harder) :lol:

Edited: Can't create catagories in alacarte (you can create menu itiems tho)
xendistar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xendistar »

jjaythomas wrote:<snip>
J.Jay

P.S. alacarte used to depend on alot of 'Gnome' stuff (but not anymore) :D
Wish I could say the same, went to install alacarte and a whole host of gnome baggage wants to be installed along with it. Any trick to install it without the gnome baggage?
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

sorry...
Maybe only the Ubuntu one got reshuffled to not use Gnome Stuff or Xubuntu already using most of the Gnome stuff. Mint13-XFCE doesn't pull much Gnome stuff (but the current Mint-XFCE uses alot of Gnome stuff/Apps by default already :evil: )

Try 'lxmed' (think that what its called) LXDE stuff is more modular. and theirs other more manual menu editors in repos.
XFCE.org said at 4.8 were compatible with 'Alacarte (alway was I think (I used it for years in XFCE, Gnome and all)LXmed and others.

P.S. lxmed won't be in 'right click preferences' only menu itself (never tried myself).

J.Jay
xendistar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xendistar »

I have used lxmed previously, while it is functional it is not great. I used alarcarte (at least I think it was) when I tried xbuntu 12.04 but that crashed more often than a drunk driver.

Thanks
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

xendistar wrote:Wish I could say the same, went to install alacarte and a whole host of gnome baggage wants to be installed along with it. Any trick to install it without the gnome baggage?
If you're installing via the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends alacarte
if you're installing via Synaptic go to the Settings menu, Preferences, uncheck the option "Consider recommended packages as dependencies"

You should restart Synaptic after making that change. I've had it work without restarting but it's usually been the case I needed to restart the program for the change to take effect.
xendistar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xendistar »

Thanks Squeezy
17xeros

Post by 17xeros »

Is it possible to have the search prompt of "application finder" as an entry in "Applications menu" or in the panel (as some sort of plugin).
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

manual editing is always possible, and not that difficult ince you learn a few of the xfce locations or tricks..
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=8749
--that forum, linuxviolin post also mentioned menumaker
17xeros

Post by 17xeros »

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Return to “Xfce”