Some ATI questions - fan speed, etc..

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wolf_walker

Some ATI questions - fan speed, etc..

Post by wolf_walker »

mint 14 KDE
Proprietary FGLRX installed via the Sources tab
HD5700

3d works, well, so does 2d/video, no complaints.

I found a GPU temp widget that I could get to work finally, temps are OK, it lets me manually control fan speed as well.
I've been reading and playing with the aticonfig command, I can see that the GPU clock lowers and raises when in use.
However, I don't believe the fan speed ever changes from 40% unless I manually change it.

Is there a way to enable automatic fan speed? I ran the GPU up to 70C gaming and the fan speed never changed till I changed it manually.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Some ATI questions - fan speed, etc..

Post by AlbertP »

A temperature of 70°C is not immediately a problem, but certainly worrying. What Radeon HD 57xx card are you having exactly (which manufacturer, type, etc.)? Also, is it a 5750 or a 5770?
Please post the output of fglrxinfo and inxi -Gx.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
wolf_walker

Post by wolf_walker »

Code: Select all

display: :0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
OpenGL version string: 4.2.11903 Compatibility Profile Context

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Juniper [Radeon HD 5700 Series] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.0 driver: fglrx Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series GLX Version: 4.2.11903 - CPC Direct Rendering: Yes

I dual boot with Win7 (for games) and have had this card and computer for awhile, 70 isn't worrying me too much but I'd rather not have to manually
raise the fan speed when I'm going to be gaming for awhile (which I do in Linux some now, thankfully). Honestly I can't remember which video card this is
specifically, I believe it's a HD5770.

Possibly related, as I mentioned I can pull the gpu temp via aticonfig, and I have it displayed via the widget.
I can also pull the hard drive temp via hddtemp in the console, and lm-sensors is configured and working, version 3.3.3.
But Sensors via the console does not list either the GPU temp or the hard drive temp, just CPU and Motherboard.
I have run the sensors-detect several times.

I had previously Mint 13 Mate and I had all this working and displayed in the Gnome panel applet, but heck if I can remember how I got it all working last time,it's been awhile ago. :(
I should have made notes.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

70C for a CPU is bad. But this is a GPU. My 4870x2 IDLED at 70C. It regularly hit 90C in use. I modded the BIOS so now it idles at 45C and never exceeds 70C under load. That's something to consider, but it will completely void your warranty and has the possibility of bricking your card. I turned off all manual fan control now that the BIOS controls everything. GPU-Z still shows the fan stuck at 40%, but my ears tell me otherwise. Could you be having the same issue?
wolf_walker

Post by wolf_walker »

It's possible, mine idles at more like 52, the 70 was under moderate load.
I also notice on the stock mint drivers the gpu fan is faster at idle than with fglrx installed. I guess I could heat it up and see if the fan speed increases.

I'm mostly puzzled that I got all this to work on mint 13 mate not long ago, but no go now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

wolf_walker wrote:But Sensors via the console does not list either the GPU temp or the hard drive temp, just CPU and Motherboard.
That's nothing special. The proprietary ATI driver does not expose it's temperature there and sensors-detect doesn't detect harddisks.
wolf_walker

Post by wolf_walker »

AlbertP wrote:
wolf_walker wrote:But Sensors via the console does not list either the GPU temp or the hard drive temp, just CPU and Motherboard.
That's nothing special. The proprietary ATI driver does not expose it's temperature there and sensors-detect doesn't detect harddisks.

How did I have the Mate applet in the panel showing everything in one applet last week? I remember I had to fool with it, but can't remember what I did.
I'm almost positive I got LM-Sensors to read the drive temp and the ATI GPU temp and I know it was a single built-in applet displaying it.
wolf_walker

Post by wolf_walker »

bigj231 wrote:70C for a CPU is bad. But this is a GPU. My 4870x2 IDLED at 70C. It regularly hit 90C in use. I modded the BIOS so now it idles at 45C and never exceeds 70C under load. That's something to consider, but it will completely void your warranty and has the possibility of bricking your card. I turned off all manual fan control now that the BIOS controls everything. GPU-Z still shows the fan stuck at 40%, but my ears tell me otherwise. Could you be having the same issue?

82C in moderate use testing and the fan did not kick up on it's own.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Could you run lspci -k and post the lines about your graphics card?
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

wolf_walker wrote:82C in moderate use testing and the fan did not kick up on it's own.
Something's manually controlling the fan speed. Find that and turn it off. It should be at at least 50% fan at 80 C IIRC. I'm not completely sure on the fan slope of your car though.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

bigj231 wrote:Something's manually controlling the fan speed. Find that and turn it off.
I don't think so. It's probably rather a driver bug. The ATI/AMD proprietary driver is in use so you can't control the fan manually. Instead it would have to be configured through Catalyst Control Center. If possible at all.
wolf_walker

Re: Re: Some ATI questions - fan speed, etc..

Post by wolf_walker »

AlbertP wrote:
bigj231 wrote:Something's manually controlling the fan speed. Find that and turn it off.
I don't think so. It's probably rather a driver bug. The ATI/AMD proprietary driver is in use so you can't control the fan manually. Instead it would have to be configured through Catalyst Control Center. If possible at all.
Proprietary driver is I use, but I can control fan speed manually via a widget.
But I suspect it is a driver issue.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”