Gufw and ping

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BobMacall
Level 2
Level 2

Gufw and ping

Post by BobMacall »

Can you stop ping replies with gufw? I changed /proc/sys/ne/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all to 1
but it doesn't seem to help. I went to Shields-Up site: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
and tested my firewall. It failed! Port 443 https is open. But Gufw default closes all incoming
connections. Plus it's accepting ping.
any ideas?

thanks,
Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Gufw and ping

Post by xenopeek »

If you want to block ping requests, edit your /etc/ufw/before.rules file as root and comment out the next line:

Code: Select all

-A ufw-before-input -p icmp --icmp-type echo-request -j ACCEPT
But blocking ping may have adverse effect, I don't know.

I tested port 443 and it is closed here. By default you wouldn't have a service running on port 443. Do you? You can check on which ports you have services running that listen to outside traffic with:

sudo ufw show listening
You can check your rules set with:

sudo ufw status verbose
There shoudn't be a rule to allow 443.
BobMacall
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BobMacall »

Thanks xenopeek! I made the change for ping but the Shields-up site reports the same thing. The site
must not be reporting correctly. I also checked which ports are listening as per your code and 443 was not listed.
The shields-up site seems to be messed up, not reporting correctly. My Gufw settings were the default settings
before the change to /etc/ufw/before.rules.
Thanks again!
Bob
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

How are you connected to the Internet? If you have a Cable/DSL modem that also has a router, it may have a firewall that is configured too leniently.

Return to “Networking”