VNC Killed after Hitting Ctrl-C

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
briant97

VNC Killed after Hitting Ctrl-C

Post by briant97 »

I have used ubuntu fine without this issue. So not sure what is going on I just switched to Linux Mint 14 MATE. The reason is because Unity 2d is not available in latest version and I need fast remote desktop.

The issue when I hit Ctrl-C it Kills the remote desktop.

When i highlight something in XChat it kills the remote desktop.

I have to connect via ssh and reboot and all is working again.

If I am in an app and use right click and copy the session remains and is not killed.

I found an ubuntu thread that never received an answer as to what the problem would be.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1415936

I am running Vino-Server. Everything else seems to be fine.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
briant97

Re: VNC Killed after Hitting Ctrl-C

Post by briant97 »

Anybody have an ideas on what would be causing this please respond.
moorsey

Post by moorsey »

I was one of the posters in that thread you linked to.

I have never found a solution to this and have had the problem for years. It is not just hitting Ctrl+C that kills the vino instance, but clicking the copy button in gedit for example does the same thing. The only option is to ssh, reboot the server, to get a VNC connection back
briant97

Post by briant97 »

I did not have this problem with ubuntu 10 all versions. I have been using vnc for years on that version. I decided to switch to mint because i finally wanted to upgrade to a new version of ubuntu however it doesn't work well with vnc because of 3d requirements. What I ended up doing was switching to team viewer. It works well enough for me and I can actually use quite easily from my samsung note 2. So I am happy with that solution for now. It also seems that it is a little more secure as I don't have to open any ports on the firewall.
moorsey

Post by moorsey »

Thanks for posting back.

Yes, I have used Teamviewer at work, good software.

VNC is much more convenient and this problem is just bizarre, it can't be effecting many people, as I imagine it would have been fixed a long time ago

Cheers
briant97

Post by briant97 »

Yeah it is not effectiveany peope. I have only had it happen on mint not Ubuntu. Teamviewer in myopinion is a lot easier than vnc and more secure. So I am sticking with it. You can set it up to run on startup and also set it to use a username and password. So on your teamviewer client u login and it shows all your pcs ib on view no need to remember ips or even have dynamic dns setup. I work on several remote pcs so o juat login to teamviewer once and I am able to access all my devices.

Return to “Networking”