pulseaudio no longer working

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

pulseaudio no longer working

Postby Dubslow on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:44 pm

So I recently installed LMDE as a replacement for my now-outdated Ubuntu 11.04 (I dislike Unity and Gnome 3, and Cinnamon does not yet offer some things that Gnome 2/MATE do).

I torrented the .iso over winter break, so late December, but didn't get around to actually installing it until a few days ago.

pulseaudio and sound in general has been working just fine, until 10 minutes ago. I pressed the mute button on my keyboard (PA announcement in the dorm), and when I unmuted it, no sound came through. This was YouTube, so I tried Google Music and Banshee before concluding it was the OS.

I googled around about "mint restart sound" because I don't want to reboot, and found this, which suggested this. So I tried `pulseaudio -k` on its own, nothing happened. Then I did the more robust --check, and nothing happened, so I assume the daemon crashed for some reason. Then I tried `pulseaudio -D`, and that failed, which was the real curveball.
Code: Select all
pulseaudio -D
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed.

What the hell?

I've seen other suggestions on this board to replace pulseaudio with alsa, should I be trying that?

Edit: Some more attempts:
Code: Select all
∰∂ pulseaudio
E: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.
∰∂ pulseaudio --check
∰∂ pulseaudio --start
∰∂ pulseaudio --check
∰∂ killall pulseaudio
∰∂ pulseaudio -D
∰∂ # Appears to have started fine, but still no sound

Edit2: Even a reboot didn't work. This is rather bad.

EDIT: The next guy after me to post in this forum has a work around and better diagnosis of the issue! :)
Dubslow
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Sound, Multimedia & Codecs