LMDE Installing and using multiple languages

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ashocka

LMDE Installing and using multiple languages

Post by Ashocka »

Hi,

Have just installed LMDE latest on my wifes ASUS laptop. Have used the keyboard utility to have both multiple languages; English and Chinese. They show up on the panel, but I can't figure out how to switch from one to the other with hot keys. You used to be able to switch in SCIM (which I think is now obsolete) using CTRL+SPACEBAR. This option is not offered in the Keyboard Utility, so I have tried configuring another combination, but nothing seems to work. Even when I set it to Chinese in the utility, the keyboard input is still English.

Help would be appreciated

Geoff
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ashocka

Re: LMDE Installing and using multiple languages

Post by Ashocka »

Problem Solved
snarf

Post by snarf »

What was the solution to your problem?

I have SCIM installed but it doesn't recognize Chinese. The only 'option' it gives me is to use English. How can I get SCIM to give me Chinese as a language option?
Ashocka

Post by Ashocka »

snarf wrote:What was the solution to your problem?

I have SCIM installed but it doesn't recognize Chinese. The only 'option' it gives me is to use English. How can I get SCIM to give me Chinese as a language option?
If I remember correctly I installed ibus instead of scim (as I had observed previously an upgrade installed ibus over scim, so I went with that). I also installed pinyin.

If you are going to use SCIM and Chinese, in the past there was a whole procedure one had to follow on the command line to get it going. It's documented somewhere, but I find ibus much easier to install and setup.
snarf

Post by snarf »

Thanks for your reply. Before I saw it, I also made the decision to ditch scim and use ibus. After I installed ibus-pinyin, it all came together fairly smoothly. I guess I'll never know what is broken about scim but it doesn't really matter now. Also, thanks to this page: http://pinyinjoe.com/linux/ubuntu-12-chinese-setup.htm 没问题!

Return to “Installation & Boot”