Disable Screen Blanking Applications

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
WhatUsernameIsFree?

Disable Screen Blanking Applications

Post by WhatUsernameIsFree? »

Hi all,

I have a computer that I use to play steaming media. Currently it's using MATE, previously using Cinnamon, under LMDE.

Unfortunately it blanks the screen after about 10 minutes of not being used. I've tried the screen saver settings which are set to two hours (which is as long as I can set it to not blank the screen.)

Can anyone tell me how to completely disable the screen blanking?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Disable Screen Blanking Applications

Post by xenopeek »

Steaming media? :lol: Anyway, when you are in the Screensaver Preferences, have you also looked behind the Power Management button at the bottom? There is the setting that controls when the display goes to sleep.
WhatUsernameIsFree?

Hi,

Streaming media. such as when watching YouTube, iPlayer or the likes :?: Not sure what you call it.

Anyway, screensaver is set to two hours and the power settings are both set to 'Never'. This computer persists with blanking the screen every 10 minutes. I've tried removing

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove acpi-support acpid
and

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver idle-activation-enabled false
Alas, there was no such luck with either of those commands.
WhatUsernameIsFree?

Ok, so it looks like a program called 'caffeine' would work, unfortunately I can't get it to work.

Stupidly I tried to install the .deb, not sure how to uninstall it and building it from source didn't work.
WhatUsernameIsFree?

So far, I've got the screen to stay awake unless I'm playing a video. With the screen on the desktop, idle for hours the screen stays awake. If I play a video, it sleeps every 10 minutes.

Please help. :(
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Don't use Mate or cinamon much...
But

If I remember in the panel you can put a plugin called 'inhibit' I remember doung that to watch hulu 'steaming :mrgreen: media' the inhibit icon disables screensavers, hibernate ect.
I watch a full lenght movie (2-2 1/2 hours. Power saving was default times.

If I remember correctly
J.Jay
WhatUsernameIsFree?

I feel like I've missed a joke or calling it something stupid :oops:

Anyway, I noticed it's only occurring in VLC, so I've switched to XBMC. Now to find a handy XBMC remote control application.
deep64blue
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deep64blue »

WhatUsernameIsFree? wrote:I feel like I've missed a joke or calling it something stupid :oops:

Anyway, I noticed it's only occurring in VLC, so I've switched to XBMC. Now to find a handy XBMC remote control application.
I don't get the joke either - streaming media is exactly what it is!

EDIT: Except you called it "steaming" without the crucial r lol
WhatUsernameIsFree?

deep64blue wrote:EDIT: Except you called it "steaming" without the crucial r lol
:oops: Thanks, how many times did I read and re-read the thread without spotting it? :lol:
trebzgum

Post by trebzgum »

I had the same problem, I set screensaver to 2hrs under Screensaver program since the range is 1 min - 2hrs, and set sleep to never under Power Management and also used mateconf-editor but it kept getting the blank screen after 10 mins. I finally found a temporary solution that worked for me, open terminal and type:

xset s noblank
you will have to do this after every reboot though since the settings don't get saved. Hope this helps.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

you will have to do this after every reboot though since the settings don't get saved. Hope this helps.
make one line script put in auto start. :wink:

I think should work
J.Jay
nickoct

Post by nickoct »

I've been watching Youtube and had the same annoying problem that the screen keeps going blank after about 10 minutes inactivity. And I think I found the correct settings section. If you click on the Menu button and then on Preferences and then click on Power there should be a Tip at the bottom with a highlighted link to Brightness Settings. Once you click on that it will take you to a section with a lot of settings, one of which is "Turn screen off when inactive for" and a place to change the settings. Change it to never and that should solve the problem. Please let me know if it helps.
vayu

Post by vayu »

I imagine that there's a setting in VLC that would change it. I've had times where VLC was the only program that would disable the screensaver, so VLC does play with those settings.
bigtreeman

Post by bigtreeman »

Menu...
All...
Screensaver...
brings up the X screensaver preferences
untick Activate screensaver when computer is idle

Return to “LMDE Archive”