Convert from Win8 to Mint KDE

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here

Convert from Win8 to Mint KDE

Postby RavenLX on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:14 am

Hello everyone!

I am joining to maybe learn a few things and maybe even share some things I learned. I've used Linux for many years off and on, now and then. And for a number of years I have been the administrator for an Ubuntu based CGI server for a web hosting company. I put the server together, wrote the scripts in Perl, etc. Just recently I created an SVN server for work.

I have had a really bad experience with M1cr0s0f7 (sorry about the misspelling style) and especially with Windows 8. I got a new laptop (HP Pavilion g7) this past summer which was pre-installed with Windows 7 (used Windows Vista and XP for years before that). I been wanting to move to Linux for a few years but much hardware I used and software wasn't available. Until I found out about Linux Mint. Virtually all my hardware (built-ins on the laptop and some off-brand things like a graphics tablet and MIDI keyboard) work! And I've found that software has really developed and great stuff is out there. I've got to the point where I took the plunge and reformatted the drive and installed Mint this past weekend. So far I'm really enjoying it! I've always loved KDE so that's what I am using. (14 Nadia).

So here goes my adventure into living and working fully in Linux. It'll be nice to develop stuff for work without having to fire up a virtual machine and upload code then test it, etc. I do have a couple test VMs though for testing stuff for the work servers if needed. Nice to see there's VirtualBox in Linux too!

I have to get to bed as it's very late again (I never learn to get to bed early) and tomorrow I have to go through my notes and organize them all. Then hopefully I can start sharing some of this info. I'll probably have a ton of questions too as I go along.
RavenLX
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Convert from Win8 to Mint KDE

Postby Orbmiser on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:35 am

Congrats! and welcome
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Postby The-Wizard on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:15 am

Welcome to the mint family forums

wizard
asus M2N-MX board, AMD x2 6000 amd/ati graphics 4x1mb ddr2, 21" HD screen Mint 17-64 cinnamon
Acer ZG5 -mint 17 Xfce dell 1545 mint 17-64

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that i don't know the answer " [Douglas Adams]
The-Wizard
Level 9
Level 9

Postby xenopeek on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:57 am

Welcome to Linux Mint :D Have fun with Linux Mint and KDE!
xenopeek
Level 22
Level 22

Postby RavenLX on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:28 pm

Thank you everyone for the welcome! I got up very late (as expected) and got to work with stuff online. I found out that PayChex won't work with Chromium (I get an "RSL Error 1 of 6" and another error code number I forgot) even though I whitelisted Flash for that site, closed the browser, reopened it and logged back in. I was lucky it worked in Firefox. My solution was to make a desktop icon to open that site in Firefox. One of these days I'll find out why it's throwing those errors. I really wish PayChex would not use a flash-based site.

Today I'll be gathering my notes together and hopefully will have some useful posts to make in the future.
RavenLX
Level 2
Level 2

Postby AnonKS on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:29 am

Hey welcome to the mint forums. Congrats on taking the plunge. :)

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2
AnonKS
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jesica on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:27 am

Good day

Welcome to the forums :mrgreen:

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Postby dequire on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:56 am

Welcome! As someone who consults small biz and non-profits onthe virtues of open source (and KDE), I'll be interested in hearing about your challenges and victories while working full-time with Linux. We need more people like you 8)
They'll all look at me and say,
Hey look at him! I'll never live that way.
But that's okay -
They're just afraid to change.
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint
dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Introduce yourself