How to remove the ATI Control Center

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cage

How to remove the ATI Control Center

Post by Cage »

Hi I recently converted to Linux after I saw the garbage Windows 8 turned out to be. After installing Linux Mint on my system my computer has worked very stable. Anyway to get to the point. I wanted to try out the mate desktop on my cinnamon install. Some how I managed to install the ATI Control Center and it turned my desktop display into a laptop display. The control center does not work (no drivers installed) so I can't use it to change it back. I have tried to remove it but have been unsuccessful. Can anyone tell me how to remove the control center, and restore my display back to a desktop? I don't want to use the ATI Drivers. I thank you in advance.

P.S. I have only have Mint for a month, have found all the software I needed, and am about ready to dump Windows on my other drive. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How to remove the ATI Control Center

Post by catweazel »

Cage wrote: Can anyone tell me how to remove the control center, and restore my display back to a desktop? I don't want to use the ATI Drivers.
The correct answer depends on what you installed and how you installed it.
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu ... tion_Guide
In particular see section 7, Removing Catalyst/fglrx.
thank you in advance
Get [censored] in advance :mrgreen:

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Cage

Post by Cage »

TehGhodTrole thanks for the help. Like I said I am new to linux, but if you never screw things up you never learn anything. I am sure the Linux Gods made plenty mistakes themselves. I am just glad that there are people like you around to straighten out people like me. Linux has come a long way since I first tried it back in the 80's. It;s still has a ways to go though if linux wants become the #1 operating system. It's much more stable then Windows, the user interface is great. The only down side to linux (not so much with me) is the command line. Other then that I think Linux especially Mint right now surpasses Windows on all aspects save the one. I have though recommended Mint to friends of mine who are now considering moving to Mint.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Cage wrote:TehGhodTrole thanks for the help. Like I said I am new to linux, but if you never screw things up you never learn anything. I am sure the Linux Gods made plenty mistakes themselves. I am just glad that there are people like you around to straighten out people like me. Linux has come a long way since I first tried it back in the 80's. It;s still has a ways to go though if linux wants become the #1 operating system. It's much more stable then Windows, the user interface is great. The only down side to linux (not so much with me) is the command line. Other then that I think Linux especially Mint right now surpasses Windows on all aspects save the one. I have though recommended Mint to friends of mine who are now considering moving to Mint.
I've been a Windows developer since before Windows 1.0 was released when it was merely a DOS extension, having worked for Ashton-Tate on dBase, and being fortunate enough to get hold of the first Windows pre-release, and I too am new to Linux. I moved over to it just a few months ago.

I hate what M$ have done with win8, and without doubt, Linux Mint is the bee's knees. The Mint devs have done a great job. Anyway, this has gone ot so I'll close. Glad I could help.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Beginner Questions”