Cinnamon "grid" icons

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Do not post ideas for application developers. Please use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo ideas.

Re: Cinnamon "grid" icons

Postby Syndacate on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:36 pm

dogsolitude_uk wrote:OPTIONAL?!?! :shock: But... But... Options are soooo last decade. They went out the window with Gnome 2, Windows 8 and Unity. The way forward these days is to have an idea, or better still a 'vision' and force people to put up with it whether they like it or not. You don't really want to give users the ability to adapt their work environment to their preferred way of working, surely?

Blimey, the Mint guys will be soliciting feedback on user experience and asking for suggestions and new ideas next...

Oh, wait...

:mrgreen:

Gnome 2 had plenty of options. Perhaps you meant Gnome 3?
Syndacate
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby dogsolitude_uk on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:22 pm

Syndacate wrote:
dogsolitude_uk wrote:OPTIONAL?!?! :shock: But... But... Options are soooo last decade. They went out the window with Gnome 2, Windows 8 and Unity. The way forward these days is to have an idea, or better still a 'vision' and force people to put up with it whether they like it or not. You don't really want to give users the ability to adapt their work environment to their preferred way of working, surely?

Blimey, the Mint guys will be soliciting feedback on user experience and asking for suggestions and new ideas next...

Oh, wait...

:mrgreen:

Gnome 2 had plenty of options. Perhaps you meant Gnome 3?

Yes. Yes I did.
dogsolitude_uk
Level 2
Level 2

Postby BlackFox on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:59 am

Just chiming in as a new user. Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon is my first experience with Linux and for me it's really these small things like having properly aligning desktop icons, as well as many many other small details that are really turning me off from Linux. I just don't have time for this BS, and it's really sad to learn that this has been an unresolved problem for years. Especially considering how simple the solution should be.

If the developers are not going to do something about it, then is there any patch or workaround that we the community can come up with?
BlackFox
Level 1
Level 1

Postby spynoodle on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:07 am

As a relative newcomer to Mint, I definitely agree with this. I thought something was a little weird with my desktop, but I didn't notice the issue until I stumbled upon this thread. There's no reason not to fix this!
My caseless OC rig: Asus P5K Pro, Pentium E5200 @ 4GHz 1.4v, 4gb Crucial + Nanya DDR2 @ 853MHz, WD1200BB 120GB HDD, OEM Nvidia Geforce GT 545, Modded Kingwin RVT-12025D heatsink, AcBel R8 II 500w PSU, Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon
spynoodle
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Syndacate on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:17 am

BlackFox wrote:Just chiming in as a new user. Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon is my first experience with Linux and for me it's really these small things like having properly aligning desktop icons, as well as many many other small details that are really turning me off from Linux. I just don't have time for this BS, and it's really sad to learn that this has been an unresolved problem for years. Especially considering how simple the solution should be.

If the developers are not going to do something about it, then is there any patch or workaround that we the community can come up with?

Yeah, I thought about doing it, as I have the software dev experience and I have the drive...but I don't have the time to get acquainted with the system (I don't know how Gnome works behind the scene) :-\. That's the big ball-buster. I don't know the general architecture of the system, which means I'd have to figure it all out on my own, which is a pain, especially if you're constantly crushed for time like I am. That's why I brought this issue up here. I brought it up for Gnome2 in the Ubuntu forums in hopes that somebody would take notice but nobody did. Hopefully here, where they're more 'customer oriented' - they can deal with it, because I have a laundry list of people who it has pissed off and turned away from Linux (as you said, it's the small things like these that annoy you), and it really shouldn't be that way. If people are turned away from Linux it should be the lack of mainstream apps or something, not because the icons are aligned like ass.
Syndacate
Level 1
Level 1

Postby catweazel on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:43 am

palo wrote:Just have a feeling that there may be others that may not want this feature request.

There are those of us who don't like desktop icons at all so don't care either way :mrgreen:

Nevertheless, it's a worthy option to support. Option being the operative word.
Mint Testing Team & Mint Donor #3606
KDE 4.12.0, custom preemptive kernel 3.12.5,
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz, 16GB 2666MHz XMP,
4 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSDs in RAID0,
6TB HW RAID10, dual 24" Acer X243H,
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 680 Super Overclock
catweazel
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Syndacate on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:56 am

TehGhodTrole wrote:
palo wrote:Just have a feeling that there may be others that may not want this feature request.

There are those of us who don't like desktop icons at all so don't care either way :mrgreen:

Nevertheless, it's a worthy option to support. Option being the operative word.

Yeah, Ubuntu has proven many times that forcing people into things isn't always the best solution. A simple preferences check box in appearance would do just dandy, IMO :).
Syndacate
Level 1
Level 1

Postby chiec on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:18 am

I think this is a must, and not so difficult to do.
chiec
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Emanuele on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:35 am

I join the request. It is such a lack of basic feature that makes Linux world far from user appeal. Modern commercial operating systems develop innovative feature but still mantain what is known as essential desktop facilities. I've discovered Linux Mint about 4 months ago, I find it a good distro, with great capability. But it still doesn't resolve terrible troubles like xscreensaver inhibition (introduced by Ubuntu standard violation), icon grid placement, firefox startup time, gedit startup time (the standard text editor I mean!!), menu startup time (only mate DE).

How can a fresh windows user deal with them? If I weren't a free software supporter, I would have dropped Linux world a long time ago. Choice is important, but commond standards between distroes are necessary to build something good upon. If Ubuntu has made a bad choice, it's time to have a change. This fork should BE the change, we now have transparent menus, the expo view, a graceful notification system and so on, but how long should we wait for a working screensaver?

Does free software mean slowness, boredom, staticness? If it does, it won't never be an alternative.
Emanuele
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wilo108 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:29 pm

wilo108
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas