GetDeb and PlayDeb discontinued - operational again

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

GetDeb and PlayDeb discontinued - operational again

Postby xenopeek on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:11 am

Update February 3rd: As per today's announcement, the GetDeb and PlayDeb repositories are operational again. This does not mean however that GetDeb and PlayDeb will continue as before. The maintainer shares his intention to do an online survey, and reduce the number of packages that will be available for Ubuntu 13.04 in the GetDeb and PlayDeb repositories to a manageable number. The most popular packages he is planning to integrate into the Ubuntu repositories directly, forgoing the need to add the GetDeb and PlayDeb repositories to your system. It is unclear to me what has brought about this change, as just over two weeks ago the clearly worded "I decided to discontinue GetDeb and PlayDeb" announcement left little doubt. But, good news for those that enjoy using GetDeb and PlayDeb!

GetDeb and PlayDeb were optional software portals that offered additional applications and games for you to install through the Software Manager, which you could enable on Linux Mint from the Software Sources. Today we are saddened to share the announcement from its developer that both of these software portals have been discontinued.

You may already have been experiencing errors when using Update Manager with these software portals enabled, as since early December 2012 the project's main server had failed. You would have received errors like the following:
Failed to fetch http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu/dists/quantal-getdeb/Release.gpg Unable to connect to archive.getdeb.net:http:

As shared earlier here on the forums, to resolve these errors you would either disable both GetDeb and PlayDeb from the Software Sources (open Update Manager, go to Edit > Software Sources, go to Other Software tab, deselect all archive.getdeb.net sources), or you would switch to using a mirror server. You can safely do either; none of your installed applications or games will be impacted. As both software portals have been discontinued, you should be aware that the mirror servers will be static henceforth (no upgrades; no new software added) and may themselves not be available forever.

Linux Mint had included these software portals from as early as January 2008. So after 5 years we say a heartfelt goodbye and thank its developers for all the time spent on bringing more applications and games to our community's doorstep. So long, and thanks for all your work!
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: GetDeb and PlayDeb discontinued

Postby spynoodle on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:39 pm

So, what's next? Does anyone know of any other repositories that will serve updates to all the packages hosted by GetDeb and PlayDeb?
My caseless OC rig: Asus P5K Pro, Pentium E5200 @ 4GHz 1.4v, 4gb Crucial + Nanya DDR2 @ 853MHz, WD1200BB 120GB HDD, OEM Nvidia Geforce GT 545, Modded Kingwin RVT-12025D heatsink, AcBel R8 II 500w PSU, Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon
spynoodle
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nomko on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:13 pm

spynoodle wrote:So, what's next? Does anyone know of any other repositories that will serve updates to all the packages hosted by GetDeb and PlayDeb?

I've been using these repo's as long as i can remember, starting with Ubuntu. But i also found out that most software provided by Getdeb and Playdeb is common available. Whether is in the standard repositories of Ubuntu/Mint or through the website of the developers, it is still available. This is what i also found out after a while. With every application they provided the link to the software/application homepage where you also can download the latest version. Not continuing Getdeb and Playdeb isn't the end of the world. It's now more up to you finding the application you want and Google can be a great help to do this! And there's also this great forum to ask.

But anyway, you still can use the mirror sites, although i doubt that those mirror sites are maintained or supported... I think after a while you end up with old packages/versions.
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)

My personal website
nomko
Level 8
Level 8

Postby spynoodle on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:27 am

nomko wrote:
spynoodle wrote:So, what's next? Does anyone know of any other repositories that will serve updates to all the packages hosted by GetDeb and PlayDeb?

I've been using these repo's as long as i can remember, starting with Ubuntu. But i also found out that most software provided by Getdeb and Playdeb is common available. Whether is in the standard repositories of Ubuntu/Mint or through the website of the developers, it is still available. This is what i also found out after a while. With every application they provided the link to the software/application homepage where you also can download the latest version. Not continuing Getdeb and Playdeb isn't the end of the world. It's now more up to you finding the application you want and Google can be a great help to do this! And there's also this great forum to ask.

But anyway, you still can use the mirror sites, although i doubt that those mirror sites are maintained or supported... I think after a while you end up with old packages/versions.

Thanks for the info. After having the update errors associated with the repository being down, I figured I might have certain packages installed from one of the repositories; however, it turns out that I might not have any to begin with, so it probably won't really be much of a problem to me.
My caseless OC rig: Asus P5K Pro, Pentium E5200 @ 4GHz 1.4v, 4gb Crucial + Nanya DDR2 @ 853MHz, WD1200BB 120GB HDD, OEM Nvidia Geforce GT 545, Modded Kingwin RVT-12025D heatsink, AcBel R8 II 500w PSU, Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon
spynoodle
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nomko on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:19 am

You could take a look here: http://ubuntu-tweak.com/. They provide packages which were available on Getdeb and with a link to the homepage as well.
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)

My personal website
nomko
Level 8
Level 8

Postby eMcE on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:39 pm

"GetDeb: Phoenix"
A community to organise the re-launch of GetDeb, probably under a new name.
More infos and G+ page here:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities ... 3234933713

Edit:
GetDeb and PlayDeb are back online! :D

Miłość i prawda rządzą :] a hipokrytom chooy w tylny exit :]
eMcE
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Software & Applications