[Resolved] Visual C++ like software

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gandalf the White

[Resolved] Visual C++ like software

Post by Gandalf the White »

Here is a dumb question, but one I would like an answer to and maybe tutorial advise with.

I am looking for software like Visual C++, that will work in Cinnamon, to learn and program in. It should be a program where tutorials already exist. I know about http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/home/ehchua/prog ... HowTo.html, but I do not know if it will even work in the Cinnamon environment or if it can even be installed in the Cinnamon environment.

If there is a better programming language than Visual C++ for the Cinnamon environment, I am open to recommendations. I am at the start of this project and would like to get off on the right foot. That I why I am placing a post in this forum.

If I have left anything off this post that you need to understand what I am trying to do, please let me know and I will explain to the best of my ability.

Sincerely,
Gandalf
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grepnix

Re: Visual C++ like software

Post by grepnix »

There is no Visual C++ on Linux. C++ yes...

If you are looking for something similar try QT Creator. It has the advantage of also being multi-platform.

Its available in the repository as qtcreator, Comes with examples and demos and webpage is:-

http://qt.digia.com/product/developer-tools/

Cheers,
Grepnix
Gandalf the White

grepnix wrote:There is no Visual C++ on Linux. C++ yes...

If you are looking for something similar try QT Creator. It has the advantage of also being multi-platform.

Its available in the repository as qtcreator, Comes with examples and demos and webpage is:-

http://qt.digia.com/product/developer-tools/

Cheers,
Grepnix
Thanks Grepnix,

And would you be available for occasional queries (on this subject) in the event I completely confuse myself. Don't laugh. It happens to me just walking down the street. :roll:
grepnix

Post by grepnix »

Gandalf the White wrote: And would you be available for occasional queries (on this subject) in the event I completely confuse myself. Don't laugh. It happens to me just walking down the street. :roll:
Sure, I'll be available. Just don't expect too much. I'm an enthusiastic beginner when it comes to programming. Confused should have been my middle name :D So I understand where you are coming from...

I suggest doing a search on youtube for qtcreator. Theres several video tutorials that I found useful...

Regards,
Grepnix
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Qt Creator is for writing applications that will use the Qt toolkit I think, which is natively used on desktop environments like KDE and Razor-Qt. Cinnamon is using the Gtk+ toolkit natively, for which you'd use Glade to design the GUI: http://glade.gnome.org/. You can still write a Qt application and use it on a Gtk+ desktop environment, and vice versa, but usually you'd prefer to use the native toolkit.

There are various IDEs for developing C++ programs on Linux, like Anjuta specifically for Gtk+ applications, or Geany for a more lightweight IDE.You can find others here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... .2FC.2B.2B. I prefer Geany for programming, but I'm not doing much C++ these days. Mostly Python. If you want a more integrated environment, Anjuta seems like a good one to have a look at.
Gandalf the White

grepnix wrote:
Gandalf the White wrote: And would you be available for occasional queries (on this subject) in the event I completely confuse myself. Don't laugh. It happens to me just walking down the street. :roll:
Sure, I'll be available. Just don't expect too much. I'm an enthusiastic beginner when it comes to programming. Confused should have been my middle name :D So I understand where you are coming from...

I suggest doing a search on youtube for qtcreator. Theres several video tutorials that I found useful...

Regards,
Grepnix
Thanks, I'll hold you to that. I've installed the package and will be reading over it this week. I think it's called "The blind leading the blind." :lol: I've got a lot of experience at that. Perhaps we will both learn something out of this.

I retired as an engineer. I used to have to program my own applications, because they weren't fancy enough for the programmers to get envolved with. Now, I'm working as a wizard, at the PCHF forums. I've got the time to put into this. I'm just not sure I've got the brains. Some of the responses I've been getting are over my head right now. Maybe further down the line I'll be able to revisit these responses and make some sense out of them. I hope.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I saved this URL a while ago because it seemed to have many links and info on Linux programming. Maybe? http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialC++.html
Gandalf the White

homerscousin wrote:I saved this URL a while ago because it seemed to have many links and info on Linux programming. Maybe? http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialC++.html
Link saved. Thanks.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

Codeblocks is the Best for linux by far.

http://www.codeblocks.org

it is a very well known Windows c++ IDE that has a native linux build as well. it is used all over the world and is very powerfull, im sure if you like VC++ you will enjoy Codeblocks, and best part of all, its in the software manager and is free. or you can install it via the terminal "sudo apt-get install codeblocks" ( i think that is the correct command.
Gandalf the White

raymerjacque wrote:Codeblocks is the Best for linux by far.

http://www.codeblocks.org

it is a very well known Windows c++ IDE that has a native linux build as well. it is used all over the world and is very powerfull, im sure if you like VC++ you will enjoy Codeblocks, and best part of all, its in the software manager and is free. or you can install it via the terminal "sudo apt-get install codeblocks" ( i think that is the correct command.
The install code is correct. Thanks. One more possibility.
By the time I'm done, I just might be a real programmer. (No offense) :wink:
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

xenopeek wrote:Qt Creator is for writing applications that will use the Qt toolkit I think, which is natively used on desktop environments like KDE and Razor-Qt. Cinnamon is using the Gtk+ toolkit natively, for which you'd use Glade to design the GUI: http://glade.gnome.org/. You can still write a Qt application and use it on a Gtk+ desktop environment, and vice versa, but usually you'd prefer to use the native toolkit.
I know you're probably only expressing your opinion, but with a board rating like yours, more circumspection is called for, especially when you might be downright wrong, because someone might believe you.

First up, Qt and Gtk are merely widget toolkits. Second, Qt Creator is platform independent, which means it doesn't care if you run Cinnamon, Mate, or Windows, KDE or TuxInTimbuktu, whatever that might be. Third, Qt Creator supports pure C++; there is absolutely no requirement to use any Qt specific class, macro or function. Fourth, if he installs Qt then there is no need for him to worry about targeting anything native. Fifth, the correct advice to the new poster is use Qt Creator.

Qt Creator is the closest he will get to a Visual C++ design environment on Linux, and it doesn't matter a hoot if he's running Cinnamon.

HTH
Last edited by catweazel on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Gandalf the White wrote:By the time I'm done, I just might be a real programmer. (No offense) :wink:
Well, from a real programmer who was coding decades before you were a cheeky sparkle in your daddy's eye, the only advice that will suit your original requirements is to use Qt Creator.

Everything else you've been told is wrong. CodeBlocks will not do what you want to do. You don't need to worry about glade libs or Gtk widgets, so on, so forth, etc and et al, and Anjuta won't cut it for you either.
I am looking for software like Visual C++
Qt Creator.
that will work in Cinnamon
Qt Creator.
to learn and program in
Qt Creator.
It should be a program where tutorials already exist.
Qt Creator.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Gandalf the White

Hello TehGhodTrole,

I can only find one thing that you are very wrong about.

"Well, from a real programmer who was coding decades before you were a cheeky sparkle in your daddy's eye, the only advice that will suit your original requirements is to use Qt Creator."

If that were the case, it would make you about 90 years of age. Am I close? :!: If that is the case, where would you like the flowers sent, because you won't have that much time left to entertain us. :lol:

I do appreciate your input. The more (brains :?: ) that can confirm that Qt Creator is the way to go, the less change I will be wasting my time. At my age, Time is like sand sifting through ones hands, but you know all about that. Right? :roll:
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Gandalf the White wrote:If that were the case, it would make you about 90 years of age. Am I close? :!: If that is the case, where would you like the flowers sent, because you won't have that much time left to entertain us. :lol:
You're not far off, young 'un. I'm 83, and loving every moment of it. Well, the moments I'm awa... zzzz snore zzzz

This page contains everything you need to get going...
I'll PM you with a link to some excellent Qt/C++ ebooks I'll upload for you.
Gandalf the White

TehGhodTrole wrote:
Gandalf the White wrote:If that were the case, it would make you about 90 years of age. Am I close? :!: If that is the case, where would you like the flowers sent, because you won't have that much time left to entertain us. :lol:
You're not far off, young 'un. I'm 83, and loving every moment of it. Well, the moments I'm awa... zzzz snore zzzz

This page contains everything you need to get going...
I'll PM you with a link to some excellent Qt/C++ ebooks I'll upload for you.
Well, old timer, you got the best of me this time. By the way, I'm already a member of Qt Project. Username: Gandalf_PCHF
Should I start SHOUTING so you can hear me better? I've never used ebooks. Should be interesting. I used to alway browse the Book stores in the Programming and Mathematics sections for book of interest to me. It was always either 5th grade level Excel books or PhD level Math books. Never books in between where I needed them.

How is it that you can PM me, but I can't PM you?
I could not access the link in your PM. Can you zip it and email it to me as an attachment?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Gandalf the White wrote:How is it that you can PM me, but I can't PM you?
I could not access the link in your PM. Can you zip it and email it to me as an attachment?
I had it turned off. I can send them, yes, but your mail server will have to accept attachments up to 6MB each. PM me with your email address. As this has gone off-topic now I'll leave it there and take it up with you via PM.

Cheers.
Gandalf the White

Thanks for the valuable advise, everyone. I have decided to go with Qt Creator.

Return to “Software & Applications”