[SOLVED] USB speakers don't disable computer speakers

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
loobyloo

[SOLVED] USB speakers don't disable computer speakers

Post by loobyloo »

My speakers, when plugged into any of my USB ports, don't work and the sound continues to come out of the computer's internal speakers. Does anyone know how I could stop this behaviour?

Cliff
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
loobyloo

Re: USB speakers don't disable computer speakers

Post by loobyloo »

Got it.

Open Pulse Audio Volume Control, plug in the USB speakers, and change the ALSA playback to audio controller Analgue Stereo. In VLC, you need Audio > Audio Device > audio controller Analgue Stereo. I assume it's the same for other media software.

On my computer anyway, this now cuts out the internal speakers as soon as the USB speakers are plugged in (I can't use normal jack plug as I dropped the computer on my third day of owning it and broke the jack plug--thank goodness for USB sound cards.)

Return to “Beginner Questions”