Some Windows Always Open on Secondary Monitor

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
osarusan

Some Windows Always Open on Secondary Monitor

Post by osarusan »

I have a dual-monitor display. The primary monitor is on the right, 1680x1050; the secondary monitor is on the left, 1600x1200. I usually keep the secondary monitor off, except when I am using it.

For some reason, whenever I open Google Chrome, Chromium, or Firefox maximized, they only open on the secondary monitor. If I unmaximize them before I close and then re-open them, they open on the correct monitor. But maximized they always open on the wrong one. Opera and other windows do not seem to have this problem.

I had this same issue using Gnome Shell on Ubuntu before switching to Mint 14 with Cinnamon.

Does anyone have a solution for this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ninomrki
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Some Windows Always Open on Secondary Monitor

Post by ninomrki »

I was having similar issues. Try this: System Settings -> Window Behavior -> Window Behavior -> Check the "Active screen follows mouse" box -> Aply. Worked for me
Home is where the Wi-Fi is.

Registered Linux user #562302
miraculixx
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Some Windows Always Open on Secondary Monitor

Post by miraculixx »

Here's how it worked for me with Chrome (Mint 18.3, MATE 1.18.0)

1. Open Chrome
2. Click on the title area (next to tabs)
3. Select "Use system title bar and borders"
4. Move the Chrome window to the main screen
5. Close Chrome

Next time you open Chrome, it will be on the main screen. You can then toggle off the "Use system title bar and borders".

Return to “Cinnamon”