SOLVED window border and maximize/minimize gone

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lotofag

SOLVED window border and maximize/minimize gone

Post by lotofag »

Hi, its gone, I cannot move the window and I cannot close the window. The window manager is empty. I searched the forum and came upon a blabber about compiz-config but unfortunately I only managed to unistall some compiz decration stuff. It would not install again (it simply disappeared) and the system hanged. So I restart the system and now I cannot use the search feature in the sofware manager and in the synaptic. I know you have to allow Bill to make his share of money but I kind of feel you are overdoing it :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lotofag

Re: window border and maximize/minimize gone

Post by lotofag »

To further discribe the mess, the terminal dont work too (it is my second install over the past three days so understand my frustration).
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Hello, you need to offer a little more info as it is difficult to help when people dont know what version of mint you are using, the desktop environment (cinnamon/mate etc) or any of your computer's spec's, there are different ways to solve the same problem in differerent desktops, just like windows, there isn't a universal fix it so if you can post some more info somebody will be able to help . . . .. . . .
lotofag

Post by lotofag »

I have Nadia in xfce 4.8 environment. The desktop looks greyish sort of. And I have a laptop. ATI Radeon 4xxx, some intel dual cpu, realtek oboard soundcard, 4 GB, the windows windows were quite comfortable with the constellation. When I click on window manager, it does nothing. The opened windows are anchored at the top ledt corner and they wont budge. Also there is nothing in the panel down appearing. And show desktop does not seem to work
lotofag

Post by lotofag »

SOLVED - I installed openbox via repository and then clicked upon the Menu-Other-Openbox icon. Worked like charm. Thanks to whoever did the openbox :)
pauledykstra

Re: SOLVED window border and maximize/minimize gone

Post by pauledykstra »

I'm running Linux Mint 13 XFCE on a HP NC6000 laptop. Installing openbox did give me the window minimize/maximize close bar back. However, this would just seem to be a work around. The old minimize/maxmize was a +/- now I have the windows like square. I threw in my live USB and it worked fine without openbox so I'm guessing the problem might be related to an update???

I'm only mentioning this because I like Mint for it's lightness and I hate to keep installing softwares and potentially bogging down the install.
caribriz

Re: SOLVED window border and maximize/minimize gone

Post by caribriz »

@pauledykstra

Try the solution here - hopefully it can help with the window manager issue in xfce:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=116258

Return to “Beginner Questions”