How to get Glade for Gtk+ 2?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
perduta

How to get Glade for Gtk+ 2?

Post by perduta »

I just setup a Linux Mint system to work on an old project and I need to install the Glade user interface builder.
So in the software manager I found it and clicked "Install"

It momentarily said "1 ongoing actions" then went back to zero and still shows as "not installed"

There is no explanation of why it didn't install...
What do I try next?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to install software on Linux Mint

Post by xenopeek »

That is a known quirk of the old Software Manager. If you are still using the old one, the package will have installed fine you just need to go back to the search results page and click on the package to go back to its details page to refresh it. On Linux Mint 14, or Linux Mint 13 with backports enabled, this has been fixed.
perduta

Post by perduta »

It is a fresh Linux Mint 14 Nadia installation from the live disk I down loaded earlier...
As I have no idea where the menu for installed applications might be I went to the terminal and typed 'glade' but it says it is not installed and to run 'sudo apt-get install glade'.

I'll try running the update facility first... but it's taking ages :(
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You can use the search function of your menu to find Glade, but it will handily show up in the Programming section of your menu.
perduta

Post by perduta »

I got the 32bit edition as I only have 4Gb of memory... anyway, once the updates had finished I ran synaptic package manager this time and it installed it OK. :)
Then my data disk couldn't be mounted as it said: "No object for D-Bus interface" - whatever that means :? but fortunately after a reboot it works again :)

Now of course Glade says that my work file targets Gtk+ 2.16 but that the version just installed is for Gtk+ version 3 only.
So somehow I'll have to install an older version of the Glade package.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to get Glade for Gtk+ 2?

Post by xenopeek »

Made you your own topic for this question. I'm assuming you are using MATE?

Edit: had a quick check, you can easily install the older version of Glade. To do so, download the packages glade, glade-common and optionall glade-doc from the following links. Download links are at the bottom, and you either pick the "all" architecture if is it available or, if you must choose between "amd64" and "i386", take "i386" for 32-bit.
- http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/glade
- http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/glade-common
- http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/glade-doc

After downloading the files, and having removed all previously installed glade packages from your system, double-click the files in your file manager to get the option to install them. Order of installation is important; install glade-common first! Then glade, and optionally glade-doc. As you install the packages, you will get a warning that never versions of the packages are available in the repository. Continue anyway. To avoid your Update Manager upgrading you to these newer versions later, you must lock these three packages down. To do so, open a terminal and run each of the following three commands, one at a time:

Code: Select all

echo glade hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections
echo glade-common hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections
echo glade-doc hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections
perduta

Post by perduta »

Thank you ever so much... I was reluctant to resume an older project but your help has been amazing :)

I suspect that it happens quite often that people need to revisit work from a few years ago and so hopefully the topic may be helpful to other developers too.
In my case, it looks like I will have to run the old version alongside the newer version of Gtk+, Glade (and possibly others) until I've managed to bring the project inline with the latest distributions.

Having had a good think about it before storming ahead, the safest way forward for me will be to keep the latest tools on my current nice fresh Linux Mint installation - which is indeed the MATE desktop - and then use a virtual machine to hold the older tools. I will share the data drive between them. The same technique can then be used to ensure it can be developed with MinGW environment on Windows and save me a lot of dual booting... with a bit of luck ;)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Sounds like a plan :)
perduta

Post by perduta »

Just an update if anyone else needs to do this:

sudo apt-get install glade-gtk2
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Doh :shock: You are telling me I took the most difficult way to install it? :lol:

Thanks for the update, and good to know!
perduta

Post by perduta »

xenopeek wrote:Doh :shock: You are telling me I took the most difficult way to install it? :lol:
lol - actually it's very useful because besides Glade I use Gtk+. At first I used an old Ubuntu 10.4 installation to try and simulate the environment that it would have been built under back then, but said glade-gtk2 package was not recognized for Lucid Lynx. So I made a virtualbox with just the old build tools under a new Linux Mint and it worked a treat!

I really liked the facilities in Mint to remove stuff I don't need on my guest machine and then customize it :)

Then using a Windows based virtual machine I soon had it compiling under MinGW so I've decided I'm going to make a virtual machine for the latest tool set too, rather than install them all on the host and I can simply use the virtual box snap shot facility to switch between the different tools sets.

Just a note: anyone planning to use virtual machines with Windows 8 in them will find the 'Metro' interface doesn't behave very well in a virtual machine. Apart from that you can only install Win 8 directly onto a machine that has an operational licensed Windows XP or later even if you have a new Windows 8 license. It needs a full Gig of memory (which is a lot for a virtual 'toolbox') and 10G of virtual disk space is used before you even install any tools. .. so IOW I really don't recommend Windows 8 on virtual machines. :roll:

Return to “Software & Applications”