Inherent java exploits

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Inherent java exploits

Postby fuzy on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:41 pm

With the warnings of recent java malware breaches I did a quick search of my mint 14 install and noted that openjdk-7-jre was loaded by default. When trying to access this thru the sofware manager it would cycle and not load uninstall option. I would appreciate a bash command that would do this job. Thankx.
fuzy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Inherent java exploits

Postby xenopeek on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:56 pm

By default you will have programs installed that use Java, so you can't remove it easily. What you can do easily, is remove Java from your web browser. That is the primary concern in all these warnings you read about also, using an unpatched Java version in your browser. You can remove IcedTea, which is the Java plugin for your browser, with:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get --purge autoremove icedtea-*

Also note that Oracle Java (the one in all these warnings) is not the same product as OpenJDK Java, which you have installed. Still, it may be a good practice to not use Java in your web browser.

If you must use Java in your web browser, because for example some banks are using Java for their online banking, then install a content blocker such as NoScript in your web browser. With that you can make a whitelist of websites that are allowed to use Java, and all other websites will be blocked from using Java (but NoScript can do this for Flash, JavaScript, and other such content as well).
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions