[Solved]: How do I get my menu bar back?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leviticus8908

[Solved]: How do I get my menu bar back?

Post by leviticus8908 »

My menu bar has disappeared and I'm not sure why. Also, all of my taskbar icons have dissappeared. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How do I get my menu bar back?

Post by xenopeek »

Perhaps provide a little more information. We aren't psychic here, you know :wink: From the nice "Before you post please read this" link at the top of this page:
[5] Details! Details! Details!
  • Include the version and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit) of Linux Mint.
  • List what Display Environment you are using if relevant (GNOME, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, etc).
leviticus8908

Post by leviticus8908 »

Oops, sorry about that.

Maya Edition
MATE
64 bit
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

This may be trying to squash a fly by swinging an elephant around the room, but you may try deleting all your MATE settings, and then logging out and logging in again. That should reset all your settings to the default. To do so, open your file manager (Alt+F2 should give you the run dialog, from which you can start caja). Press Ctrl+H to show hidden files, and in your home folder rename the following folders to something else. I suggest you add the suffix "-backup":
- .mateconf
- .mateconf.d
- .config/mate
- .config/mate-session

With those four folders renamed to something else, logging out and logging in again should create them anew with their default values. If that works, you can delete the "-backup" folders.
leviticus8908

Post by leviticus8908 »

xenopeek wrote:This may be trying to squash a fly by swinging an elephant around the room, but you may try deleting all your MATE settings, and then logging out and logging in again. That should reset all your settings to the default. To do so, open your file manager (Alt+F2 should give you the run dialog, from which you can start caja). Press Ctrl+H to show hidden files, and in your home folder rename the following folders to something else. I suggest you add the suffix "-backup":
- .mateconf
- .mateconf.d
- .config/mate
- .config/mate-session

With those four folders renamed to something else, logging out and logging in again should create them anew with their default values. If that works, you can delete the "-backup" folders.
I tried this and it didn't work. I wasn't sure how to logoff from the terminal so I just shut down with "shutdown -h now." When I logged back in it wouldn't let me run my default session so I ran as a "MATE" session. I'm not sure exactly what that means. If it happens again I'll give more details. Anyways, now I am running a new session and the same problem is there. The folders mentioned above were recreated but the menu is still gone.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Just to be clear on current status;
1) Do you have a panel at the bottom of your screen?
2) Aside from the menu button, is there anything else now show on the panel?
3) Are icons + wallpaper displayed on your desktop?

Also curious, did you install any docks like Docky or similar?
leviticus8908

Post by leviticus8908 »

xenopeek wrote:Just to be clear on current status;
1) Do you have a panel at the bottom of your screen?
2) Aside from the menu button, is there anything else now show on the panel?
3) Are icons + wallpaper displayed on your desktop?

Also curious, did you install any docks like Docky or similar?
1. The panel is there on the bottom of the screen.
2. The menu button is missing from the panel as well as all of the shortcuts I pinned to the panel. The only buttons are the "click to hide all windows and show the desktop" button and then the sound, wireless, battery, date icons on the far right.
3. The wallpaper and all the icons are on my desktop like normal.

And I did not install any docks.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

What happens when you try to add the mintMenu back? Right-click the panel, add to panel, mintMenu.
leviticus8908

Post by leviticus8908 »

xenopeek wrote:What happens when you try to add the mintMenu back? Right-click the panel, add to panel, mintMenu.
I get the following message:

"The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:MATE_mintMenu"." Then it asks "Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?"

This is also the message I got the first time it dissappeared, after I logged in.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Open a terminal and run the following command:

Code: Select all

mintmenu --reset
Then try adding it again.
Argonautilus

Post by Argonautilus »

I have the same problem. I fiddled with Compiz, trying to make it comply. I tried out an alternative in an icon that emerged on the panel called, I believe, Compiz Fusion Icon. I picked MetaCity (I believe), and ... gone. So, I miss my menu, and my panel. And I'm a very sad linux newbie. The commands you posted to the original question did not help, since the command was not found.
Best regards, A.
leviticus8908

Post by leviticus8908 »

xenopeek wrote:Open a terminal and run the following command:

Code: Select all

mintmenu --reset
Then try adding it again.
This also did not work for me, but in my case the command worked in the terminal but I still get the same error message when trying to add mintMenu.
leviticus8908

Post by leviticus8908 »

Actually I was having a couple of complicated problems so I just backed up my data and reinstalled Linux Mint. Everything is working fine now.
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [Solved]: How do I get my menu bar back?

Post by jaderiver »

The "Add to Panel" not working, when right-clicking desired Applications from MintMenu, seems to be a new development. My Mint Maya 13 live CD still has this functionality, but I no longer do, even after trying to delete all the folders that xenopeek suggested... and resetting. I have also tried "mintmenu --reset" to no avail. Before this bug started happening, I recently reinstalled Maya plus a complete "Restore Files" of my Home folder with the Backup Tool. The reinstallation is how I solved a blinking, shrinking mintpanel issue resulting from Backporting my Maya OS to reflect Nadia. Or, perhaps the panel issue resulted from other non-backport-related updates. Not sure, unfortunately. :?

Anyway, the workaround, at this point, is to right click on the mint/MATE panel >> Add to Panel>>Application Launcher>> etc. This fix works. Interestingly, I see Cinnamon people have a very similar issue when they decide to remove the "Panels Applet Launcher" from their panel.

jaderiver
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 21.2 MATE Victoria No longer dualbooting WIN 7 and surviving
T-Mobile 5G or 4GLTE hotspot
; WiFi/Tether to Android hotspot
iDilemmi

Re: [Solved]: How do I get my menu bar back?

Post by iDilemmi »

MATE is separate from what Mint is. the solution is easy. I have done what is in this thread, and have done what you call changed hostnames, and it crashed mate because caja kept autostarting. so i apt-get install --reinstall caja, after apt-get remove caja and MATE is gone from session list at login and from my gnome desktop with cairo dock. the best thing to do is reinstall mate, login with an active session that works or by terminal and become root or use sudo:

apt-get install --reinstall mate-core
there are two other features, run the one for the desktop environment and the one for the MATE extras. a quick command reference is here.

if you have any problems, use apt-get remove, then perform apt-get install, and don't use --reinstall there are 3, do them in order one by one as apt var will lock and only one will work at a time.

reinstall MATE*****

http://mate-desktop.org/install/ <<<<<<<<here
it takes 5 minutes and all is restored without files being lost, icons being lost etc . . . ;)

Return to “MATE”