Removing the passworded log-in after rest interval?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
olik

Removing the passworded log-in after rest interval?

Post by olik »

Hi all.
I'm new to Ubuntu and gradually 'getting it': ) And liking it.
But my set up is set to sleep after 30 mins and when I waken it I'm confronted with a password page.
I leave my PC on most of the time and just want to access it as and when I choose. (No probs with Vista, at least in that respect)
I don't remember my original PW and in order to restart I need to 'pull the plug', which is obviously not desirable.... Or intended probably.

I'd like to know how I remove this hurdle? I'm the only user and I don't want the password hassle butting into my usage. Whether I remember my password or not.
How do I remove it?

I've got Mint running/installed alongside Vista on this PC and I don't even know how to remove it, in case of problems. The sad Vista OS I need to keep just in case, and I haven't yet moved over all my files.
I'm obviously not fully PC savvy, so please allow for that.

Help/advice please!

John.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Removing the passworded log-in after rest interval?

Post by bjornmu »

From the Menu, open Preferences->Screensaver, and in the window you should see a tick box for "Lock screen when screensaver is active". Untick that. I thought this was off by default? I'm running Mint 14 Mate but it should be something similar in other variants.

How do you manage to log in after reboot if you don't know your PW? Without the PW you may find yourself in trouble, as you may not be able to perform adminstrative tasks like installing new software.
olik

Post by olik »

Hej Bjornmu.
I'm having to use Vista to reply to your answer....
I tried clicking on the Preferences and nothing. None of the Applications in the list respond. All dead/greyed out. I go to the forums to check my Q and I can't get an active reply window... (But I can in Vista)
I'm not sure where to find my version of Mint but Cinnamon might say something to you.... It was the latest version when I installed it a couple of months ago.

I don't have a clue as to how I can log in after pulling the plug. I have never had any problems/password boxes/prompts etc. when I open it. And I can use it happily otherwise online via FF.
If I'm going to have trouble without a password just loading it, do I need to re-install the OS to get past this?? If so I'd like to know how to do it without losing my sad Vista OS. (Which if I don't retain I'll be in deep sXXt)
I'm just lost here.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

olik wrote:Hej Bjornmu.
I'm having to use Vista to reply to your answer....
I tried clicking on the Preferences and nothing. None of the Applications in the list respond. All dead/greyed out. I go to the forums to check my Q and I can't get an active reply window... (But I can in Vista)
Wait,wait You don't remember you're password right? Then how did you boot into Mint to use the menu? You can't boot into the Mint unless you have your password and username.

This thread will guide you on how to change your password.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=117601
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com

Return to “Beginner Questions”