Problems with update manager

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
prgary

Problems with update manager

Post by prgary »

Sent here from another thread. I did run the commands and get at the end of the process the following:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

I quit update manager but still get the above errors.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
prgary

Re: Trouble updating? Solution provided here.

Post by prgary »

After a restart update manager seems to work OK but no updates are shown. I do get the message "a new version of the update manager is available but I got no clue how to get/install it.

Please help this absolute Newbie who just arrived in the Linux world after frustrated kicking off Windows 8. :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Problems with update manager

Post by xenopeek »

Made you your own topic.

I think you would need to click on "Install Updates" button in the Update Manager.
prgary

Post by prgary »

Tried that but since there are no updates shown, nothing happens. The message "A new version of the update manager is available" is shown all the way down, in the grey bottom border of the update manager window.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

As a workaround, try opening a terminal and running the following command. Then try the Update Manager again and refresh it.

Code: Select all

apt update && apt upgrade
prgary

Post by prgary »

Thanks Xenopeek, that did the trick.

I guess I've got a lot to learn. So far I really like Mint 14!
Summersky
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Summersky »

I had the same issue with a Toshiba netbook running Maya, yesterday. This fix worked perfectly and updates are now running smoothly. Thanks, Xenopeek! Maybe this should be sticky?

Return to “Beginner Questions”