Intel 5100 Wireless Drivers Location <SOLVED>

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
countryboy456

Intel 5100 Wireless Drivers Location <SOLVED>

Post by countryboy456 »

First off I have searched numerous times on this post about the wireless issue I am having.. I have had no luck on finding what I need.

My issue is that I have the wireless driver downloaded onto my laptop but I do not know where I need to put the files.

The website that I had receive the file from states that if I run the command "# cp iwlwifi-*.ucode /lib/firmware" it is suppose to install the firmware.

Well the result of that command is as follow:

# cp iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11 /lib/firmware
cp: omitting directory `iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11'

As being fairly new to Linux(I have most of the basic commands down). I am not sure what that error means.

Also I am not sure if I can post the link to the location of where I receive the driver and the command it tells me to run... If I am able, I will and let fellow Linux people take a look as to what I am doing wrong.

Thank you for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Intel 5100 Wireless Drivers Location

Post by nomko »

countryboy456 wrote:My issue is that I have the wireless driver downloaded onto my laptop but I do not know where I need to put the files.
Before or after downloading the package? Before downloading: best is to download files in your download folder which can be found in you home directory: /home/{username}/Downloads. After downloading: the package itself "knows" where to install all the files.
countryboy456 wrote:The website that I had receive the file from states that if I run the command "# cp iwlwifi-*.ucode /lib/firmware" it is suppose to install the firmware.
Well the result of that command is as follow:
# cp iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11 /lib/firmware
cp: omitting directory `iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11'

As being fairly new to Linux(I have most of the basic commands down). I am not sure what that error means.
Also I am not sure if I can post the link to the location of where I receive the driver and the command it tells me to run... If I am able, I will and let fellow Linux people take a look as to what I am doing wrong.

Did you get the drivers from here:http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... &lang=eng?
Last edited by nomko on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
countryboy456

Post by countryboy456 »

No.

My laptop model is Asus.

I had gotten the file from

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi

Not sure how good the site is. But it was the only site I could find the driver on.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Try the link i provided. See if any issues will appear then.
countryboy456

Post by countryboy456 »

Actually the link I posted is a link in the site you posted.. I have to click on yours, and the link for the Intel® Wireless WiFi 5100AGN is in the site I posted.
countryboy456

Post by countryboy456 »

I found how to get the issue to work..

I was able to find the topic http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=62

I was a bit confused so I had to do some testing.. I was not able to find the line that stated the following:

A file will open. Search for the string CONFIG_IWL4965_HT=y. Directly after that string, on a new line, add this string:

So I added the command "CONFIG_IWL5000=y" under the line that had something with the following "IWL4965" and was able to get the wireless working,
ZAJDAN

Re: Intel 5100 Wireless Drivers Location <SOLVED>

Post by ZAJDAN »

HI,
what is really strange so, that when I run from live CD, the wireless card Intel 5100 works correctly, but from same CD after install not. Linux Mint 15 x64bit KDE
Why it doesn't work after installation and form Live CD yes?

Return to “Hardware Support”