How to network to Win7 wireless via wired router?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ALinuxUser

How to network to Win7 wireless via wired router?

Post by ALinuxUser »

I would like to connect my Mint desktop PC to our Win7 Acer netbooks via a wireless router. My desktop PC is old and doesn't have wireless capability. It is connected to the router via ethenet. Is there a web page somewhere that tells me what to do? I am experienced at unix scripting but know nothing about setting about networks.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
snison

Re: How to network to Win7 wireless via wired router?

Post by snison »

You're wanting to share the files on the PC to the laptops, correct? Once you have your wireless router setup and the notebooks connecting to it, just right click on the folder you want to share and then click "Share Folder".

Select Windows Networks (SMB), name it as needed (e.g. files), and decide if you want people to be able to change/write to your share.

You need two pieces of information here: the name of your box and the share name. You just decided the share name (e.g. files), so that should be easy.

Go to the terminal and type hostname. Let's say it is desktopbox.

Go to your Windows PC and click on My Computer. In the address bar, type \\desktopbox\files . You should be set!
ALinuxUser

Post by ALinuxUser »

I am still on Mint release 11, Katya. Is that different?

When I right click on a folder the only sharing topic that is in the menu is "Sharing options". When I choose that there is nothing about network sharing on the window that comes up. It just has a check box "Share this folder."
snison

Post by snison »

Yes, that is the correct way on your version. It will ask you to install some packages... that's okay. I believe Mint 11 transverses to Ubuntu 11.04, so that seems logical you would have that menu.

Return to “Networking”