k3b downloaded but not there!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cicero01

k3b downloaded but not there!

Post by cicero01 »

Hi,

i've tried to download k3b on three occasions and each time it shows it in a small downloads but when I go into downloads there's nothing there!

I must be doing something wrong anyone suggest a solution please?

Cheers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: k3b downloaded but not there!

Post by zerozero »

download? why? k3b is in your repos :D

Code: Select all

apt install k3b
done
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Yup, either use the distributor's selection or if it is not the latest (or the one you want), you have to pick your other options..
http://www.k3b.org/
--check the Download hyperlink, either binary (Linux releases ) or source (you compile it, and fix any issues wityh the installation..)
cicero01

Post by cicero01 »

zerozero wrote:download? why? k3b is in your repos :D

apt install k3b
done
Hi. Sorry but I've no idea what repos means!

I found out about k3b as it's in Software manager listed and shown as not installed. From memory opposite it says install so I clicked on that and it seemed to work but afterwards I couldn't find any reference to it.

So afterwards I downloaded from soft something or other site I found and it then showed download complete
in a small rectangular box top left of the screen in downloads.

When I opened downloads nothing, empty.

Tried to find it by searching infind k3b on computer - nothing, zilch!

I'm afraid I've used up my limited knowledge so help would be useful. :)
cicero01

Post by cicero01 »

DrHu wrote:Yup, either use the distributor's selection or if it is not the latest (or the one you want), you have to pick your other options..
http://www.k3b.org/
--check the Download hyperlink, either binary (Linux releases ) or source (you compile it, and fix any issues wityh the installation..)
I looked at the k3b site and couldn't see a download button or anything that said download.

The rest of your comments are lost on me at this stage in my understanding.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

ok :)
one thing at a time

k3b:
open your terminal and enter the following code there

apt update && apt install k3b
this will update your software sources (we will explain that later) and install k3b for you
after entering the code above press enter, you will be asked for your password, you will not see any input as you type the p/w, type it until the end and press enter again; the terminal will start "working"
[the password input is blank as a protection for you]
nomko

Post by nomko »

cicero01 wrote:i've tried to download k3b
Maybe a stupid question, but why downloading? It is available in the repository of Mint...
cicero01 wrote:on three occasions and each time it shows it in a small downloads but when I go into downloads there's nothing there!
Where did you downloaded it from? Maybe i can replicate this.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I may be way off on this, but here goes. When I first started using Linux I didn't know there was a 'show hidden files' button in my file manager- Dolphin. Could that be a simple explanation as to why you can't see something you think is there? Downloads should appear reguardless. Mine do in home/downloads.
nomko

Post by nomko »

homerscousin wrote:I may be way off on this, but here goes. When I first started using Linux I didn't know there was a 'show hidden files' button in my file manager- Dolphin. Could that be a simple explanation as to why you can't see something you think is there?
Yes, If you open your filemanager you see some files and folders. And yes, you don't see all the files and folders as some are hidden. Hidden files and folders can be identified easily by the dot (.) before the file- or folder name. So, yes, when you look at the files and folders which are visible in the filemanager makes you think that those files and folders are all there is.
cicero01

Post by cicero01 »

zerozero wrote:ok :)
one thing at a time

k3b:
open your terminal and enter the following code there

apt update && apt install k3b
this will update your software sources (we will explain that later) and install k3b for you
after entering the code above press enter, you will be asked for your password, you will not see any input as you type the p/w, type it until the end and press enter again; the terminal will start "working"
[the password input is blank as a protection for you]
Hi. Ok done as you said and it now appears in the sound and video menu.

I have some MPEG4 files I want to put on a DVD but when i attempt to do so it produces three error messages

the resulting image does not contain all the necessary video files
most likely won't play on a hi fi DVD player
could not determine size of resulting image file

what I did was start a new project and add the files to then press burn next screen shows settings and frankly I have no idea what the settings
are supposed to be. Doesn't make any difference which ones i select.

The Help tab doesn't tell me anything to do with using the software.
what have i done wrong and is there a guide to this software?

Cheers.
nomko

Post by nomko »

If you need any specific help for K3B, there's an excellent forum for KDE software: http://forum.kde.org/ where you can ask specific questions about K3B and/or KDE tools.

Normally, most dvd-players are able to play MPEG-4 files by standard. So, burning a mp4 file on a disc shouldn't be of no problem. So, my question is: are you creating a disc using the option Creating data dvd Project?

What you also can do, and to me this is a much better option, is using Devede to create a MPEG-4 movie disc. Link: http://www.devede.org/. This program works much easier. There's a how-to available: http://www.devede.org/operation/. This program allows you to add moviefiles and then convert them to a burnable .iso file. That .iso file you can burn on a disc and play it in a dvd-player.

http://www.devede.org/faq/
http://www.devede.org/contact/
cicero01

Post by cicero01 »

nomko wrote:So, my question is: are you creating a disc using the option Creating data dvd Project?
Hi, nomko

The answer to your question is no! I was using DVD Video I think it said so having read your post a second time realised you said data and have now successfully created a DVD using DVD data not video and it plays back fine on my blue ray player.

I confess I assumed using DVD video would have been the right thing to do to create a disk for watching on a DVD player and TV.

Does the rest of your answer relate to DVD video and is that another different way of creating the same thing?

Thanks again for your advice.

cicero
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

Hi. Hope you have this sorted out. I use only k3b for burning. If I want to burn any bunch of files to a cd or dvd such as music or video files of any format, zip, rar, pdf etc, I alway choose 'new data project'. There are many other options in k3b available and I just haven't tried them because the 'data' selection always works. If I want to burn a Linux distro .iso image to a dvd, that I recently downloaded, I select more actions, burn image. Those are the only 2 burn methods I use. I always change my burn speed from my device default of 16x to something lower, especially for an .iso.
nomko

Post by nomko »

cicero01 wrote:The answer to your question is no! I was using DVD Video I think it said so having read your post a second time realised you said data and have now successfully created a DVD using DVD data not video and it plays back fine on my blue ray player.
Glad it worked out for you! And yes, a MPEG-4 file should be burned as data, not as video.
cicero01 wrote:I confess I assumed using DVD video would have been the right thing to do to create a disk for watching on a DVD player and TV.
The Create DVD Video Project is meant for burning a disc which contains two folders: AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. This creates a regular DVD which can be played on every DVD player.
cicero01 wrote:Does the rest of your answer relate to DVD video and is that another different way of creating the same thing?
When using Devede, you actually create an .iso image which should be burned as an image file creating a regular DVD. After buring there are 2 folders on that disc: AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. If you're using Devede, Devede will convert the (in your case) MPEG-4 file to DVD files and creates an image.
cicero01

Post by cicero01 »

Hello, again

nomko, homerscousin and zerozero thank you all for helping me out I really appreciate it.

There's no doubt a lot to learn and I imagine I'm going to need to help again in the future.

Regards,

cicero.

Return to “Software & Applications”