Strange behaviour after installation of Maya

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Strange behaviour after installation of Maya

Postby MartinRuthenberg on Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:15 am

I want to switch from Ubuntu to LinuxMint. Therefore I made a fresh installation and I like it so far. But several things don't work out of the box. To make it easier I'll start with a firefox problem. It want to save for example "Don't ask me any more" after closing open tabs, but firefox doesn't save it and instead aks me again and again. I have been using firefox for years now, but never had this problem before.
Last edited by MartinRuthenberg on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
LinuxMint 13 Cinnamon Maya 64 bit
MartinRuthenberg
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Strange Behaviour after installation of Maya

Postby xenopeek on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:06 am

That happens sometimes. In your Firefox address bar type about:config and press enter. Accept the warning and proceed. Find browser.tabs.warnOnClose and browser.warnOnQuit, and make sure both are set to false (double-click a line to toggle between true and false). That should solve it.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Strange Behaviour after installation of Maya

Postby MartinRuthenberg on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks, Xenopeek, for being that quick.

I only have browser.tabs.warnOnClose and it is already set to false. I have exactly the same problem closing and reopening Synaptic. It shows me the introduction every time I open it though it shouldn't.

In a terminal I entered "sudo chown -R user /home/user" and I got "Access to user/.gvfs not possible: no rights". Changing to superuser in generell gave the same result. I think that's very strange. I don't know yet, what the folder .gvfs is for but it s empty.

Hopefully this gives you or anybody else a hint.

Thanks in advance from the snowy black forest in southern Germany
Martin

P.S.: To the admins: If this is not a newby question any more, please move it to the right place.
MartinRuthenberg
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Strange behaviour after installation of Maya

Postby MartinRuthenberg on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:36 pm

Meanwhile I have learnt that gvfs stands for gnome virtual file system and that I made a mistake by executing the commands described above without being logged out from my desktop. In the german ubuntu forum I've found this:
Code: Select all
sudo chown -R USER:USER /home/USER
sudo chmod -R u+rwX /home/USER
sudo chmod 600 /home/USER/.dmrc
chmod 755 /home/USER

I'll be back and report after having tried this.
MartinRuthenberg
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Strange behaviour after installation of Maya

Postby MartinRuthenberg on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:41 am

Ok, I have executed the above described commands from a console (logged out from graphical front end). But it didn't change anything. Instead I realized that packages were broken, when I wanted to install another theme via synaptic. I tried to repair packages out of recovery mode, but nothing happened at all. Than I tried to reinstall all my packages from a terminal:
Code: Select all
dpkg --get-selections | grep "\binstall" | awk '{print $1}' > /tmp/dpkg.log
sudo xargs -n1 apt-get --reinstall install -y < /tmp/dpkg.log

When I came back to my computer, it had stopped the process with an error message.

I did quite some ubuntu installations over the last five years and never had any problem with it before. This LinuxMint installation was absolutely fresh. I didn't do any configuring at all apart from installing a new theme and playing around with my desktop appearance. So I hope to get rid of the problems by installing the system from scratch again. If it doesn't work I'll have to look for another distribution and kde, what I wouldn't like to do at all.
MartinRuthenberg
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions