Unable to add a windows shared printer [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
khanopus

Unable to add a windows shared printer [SOLVED]

Post by khanopus »

Good day to all,

New to linux mint. I have 201204 mate cinammon and been using it for over a month now. Been getting comfortable with it by the day and considering ditching my windows 7 and stick to mint.

The problem is I am having trouble trying to install a windows shared printer. Whenever I try to "add" printer
there is no option to add "windows printer via samba" or some sort. I can only see IPP, etc.

I don't think I've exhausted all the search options but it's been over a week and I'm getting a bit tired of searching and trying the answers. Already did a clean installation twice and
still no luck. Somebody else here might have something in store that I still haven't tried yet. Please, need assistance. Thank you very much
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Unable to add a windows shared printer

Post by nomko »

khanopus wrote:New to linux mint. I have 201204 mate cinammon
There's no such version :wink: It's either Mint + MATE or Mint + Cinnamon and 201204?? You mean Mint 13?
khanopus wrote:The problem is I am having trouble trying to install a windows shared printer. Whenever I try to "add" printer
there is no option to add "windows printer via samba" or some sort. I can only see IPP, etc.
How did you set up the printer on the other computer? Or is it a network printer with Wifi?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

If there is a Debian involved in "I have 201204 mate cinammon" make sure the following packages are installed:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gvfs-fuse
sudo apt-get install libsmbclient
sudo apt-get install smbclient
sudo apt-get install python-smbc
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
khanopus

Post by khanopus »

This is the file(image) that I downloaded and installed:

linuxmint-201204-mate-cinnamon-dvd-64bit.iso

The printer is connected and shared from a desktop running windows 7. I am able to print and view all the
network shares using my windows OS. My linux is only able to view/access the shared folders but not
the shared printer.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

So does that mean you did add the packages I listed and it didn't work?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
khanopus

Post by khanopus »

altair4 wrote:So does that mean you did add the packages I listed and it didn't work?

Mighty fine altair4 :D ! I think we are getting there. After I ran those commands in the terminal, I am now able to see the following when I go to +add printer:

Windows Printer via SAMBA smb://_________________Browse...
smb://[workgroup/]server[:port]/printer

If I understood correctly, it is asking for:
1. workgroup name
2. server name(the computer that is sharing the printer)
3. port - I have no idea what the port should be
4. name of printer

I have all the info above except for the port. Also, What if the print server is
on DHCP? Do I have to "add new" everytime I need to print something?
snison

Post by snison »

The easiest thing is to set it to static IP or it will be a fight you probably don't want to have.

Never even seen the possible configuration of smb://[workgroup/]server[:port]

smb://computerIP/printername

you can specify the domain and user, then it will ask for the password. I do believe it is possible to also add ;password.

smb://domain;user@computerIP/printername
khanopus

Post by khanopus »

1. Went ahead and tried to continue adding the printer through "Administration>Printing>Add new"
2. Entire process seemed to freeze after installing the device drivers (downloaded from manufacturer and installed prior to adding the printer)
3. Tried the alternate approach and finally manage to install the network printer and successfully printed a test page.

- Opened locahost:631 on my browser
- Selected "Adding Printers and Classes" under CUPS for Administrators
- Clicked "Add Printer"
- Selected "Windows Printer via SAMBA" then continue
- Typed the following in the blank space provided
smb://WORKGROUP/Name of computer sharing the printer/printer name (copied the name of the printer as shown when I used the other method)
Ex. EPSON%20L110%20Series
- Continue to install driver (chosen from database list)
- Set default settings
- Print test page

I figured putting in the name of the computer sharing the printer instead of IP address would work since the system is able to search the network by computer name.

Well that's it, problem solved. You guys have been great help. Thank you very much for the assistance.
- Done

Return to “Networking”