skype needs to be reinstalled alot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
coisoVislab

skype needs to be reinstalled alot

Post by coisoVislab »

hello everyone,

i keep facing this same issue with skype regarding its app launch. Most of the times, if i don't manually close skype before rebooting and/or shutdown, the next time i try to launch it it simply does nothing. The work-around for me is to remove skype a install it again. Does anyone know a fix for my problem ?

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: skype needs to be reinstalled alot

Post by passerby »

As in, you hit the launcher and it does nothing?
What happens if you try to launch skype from the terminal?
(just open a terminal and enter "skype")
coisoVislab

Post by coisoVislab »

the launcher does nothing and from the terminal i get this error message "Fatal: QWidget: Must construct a QApplication before a QPaintDevice Aborted".

I have no idea how to fix this :\
passerby

Post by passerby »

Then google is your friend ;) http://www.cesareriva.com/archives/1199

From the terminal run:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge --remove skype-bin*
sudo pluma /etc/prelink.conf
add "-b /usr/bin/skype" to the open document, without the quotation marks.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install skype
sudo ldconfig

Return to “Beginner Questions”